Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best treats for kittens....Starting Clicker training!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by ChrisKon, Jan 3, 2013.

1. ChrisKon

ChrisKon PetForums Junior

Hi guys,

I have 2 wonderful kittens (15 weeks old) that I will start to clicker train everyday! I know that It's all down to the individual feline as to how well they recieve the training...but I'm willing to give it a try!

Is there a general favourite treat that Kitties like and that would be useful for clicker training? Again, I can imagine that it boils down to what MY kitties like, but I hardly hand feed them to actually know what they relish.

Any suggestions, guidance will be very much appreciated.

Take care :)

#1 ChrisKon, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

I guess Dreamies :D

Most cats love them and they're not expensive which might be important as you usually need loads while training ;)

Cosma snackies and Thrive treats are an all time favourite too, but being 100% meat or fish they are much more pricey :rolleyes:

3. porps

porps Swollen Member

all kitties love dreamies :)

4. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Felix goody bag treats are a massive hit here!!!

5. Hannahmourneevans

Hannahmourneevans PetForums VIP

They even run through walls!!!

6. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

I am very slowly trying to clicker train my kitten and have bought a small pack of Royal Canin to use as treats.

7. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

I don't train Phoebe, but am myself very well trained in giving her treats :D

8. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

How about little pieces of chicken? Better for them than dried processed treat snacks.

9. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

I use Thrives, but before training cut a quantity of cubes in half to make it more economic. You can't do too much training at a time anyway, a couple of minutes three or four times a day seems ok in our household.

Are you training them together? I've found it hard with Reuben as he hasn't the same attitude but also gets distracted by Harvey. Separately he is far better but I have to catch Reuben when Harvey is asleep!!

10. sharonchilds

sharonchilds PetForums VIP

Mine love Thrives treats better than Dreamies :)

11. CAPA7

CAPA7 PetForums Member

Tomo and Yomi go MAD at the mere sight of the Cosma Snackies container! If they hear it being rattled, it's even worse!

12. ChrisKon

ChrisKon PetForums Junior

Thanks for the advice guys!

I would give chicken as treats but i have already fed them a lot of chicken whilst growing up, I think I should dedicate one type of treat specifically for training/treats.

I think I'm going to have to train them seperately as I can imagine trying to train Buena, and Max rugby tackling her during the process!!!

Think I'll go for the healthier treat....

13. butter_cup

butter_cup PetForums Member

River doesn't! They both love the dried chicken or duck from zooplus though

14. jasminex

jasminex PetForums Senior

My kitten won't eat Dreamies, he doesn't seem to see them as food. He loves Thrives though and will come running at the rattle of the box! If your cat likes shrimp, the Shrimp Thrives are pretty small so you get a lot of small bits in one box, which might be good for training. Otherwise as Citrineblue says you might need to break the chicken or fish ones into pieces as they are pretty big.

15. Asteria

Asteria PetForums Member

Both of mine don't like dreamies but go crazy for thrive treats! I only need to shake the tube and they come running :laugh:

They aren't so keen on the tuna flavour ones but love the chicken, white fish and prawn.

16. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

Initially my kitties were on Dreamies and Felix treats - then I found this site and tried to give my cats healthier food and treats. I give mine Thrive now - They go mad. One climbs all over me when I open the pot. They are quite expensive - yes, but like previous posters if you cut them into smaller chunks they obviously last longer. Applaws also do a stick thing I think which you can cut up. But I personally have never tried this with mine.

Best of luck with the training!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice