Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Best supplement for overgrooming/itching skin?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Brightonian, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Brightonian

Brightonian PetForums Junior

Hey all,

Bubbles had some over groomed areas of fur where she had gone almost bald. Not fleas and a steroid injection helped her out several weeks back. It was triggered in the summer when it was hot. Now the heating has gone back on it’s flared up again. Rather than keep stressing the old girl out with more vets visits, I’d like to try a food supplement good for her skin and coat and am looking for some recommendations for such products.

Thank you x

2. cat servant

cat servant PetForums Junior

I can't help with suggesting a food supplement, but when we had a skin issue with one of ours, did lots of reading up and coconut oil was a popular option. This can be used directly on the skin to help soothe and remove inflammation as it's hypoallergenic, and also can be ingested as it has various properties which can be beneficial. If you just pop some on a paw they should lick it off.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon to help with your supplement query.

3. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

Krill oil might be worth a try? @chillminx recommended some a while back for me. I have since stopped using it because Sandy stopped eating it with his meal - he was satisfied with Yumega Oil for a short time but has gone off that too!

4. sandy-cat

To add, I also use Anicura Natural Cat Gel Ointment on Sandy's itchy spots which does seem to calm them down!

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am actually switching my own cats over to Omega 3 extract, a fish derived product made by Aniforte. It is sourced from various kinds of white fish (instead of salmon - or krill) and I think it will be more acceptable to a couple of my cats who like white fish, (but hate salmon or krill oil). It is a powder which can be added to food.

https://www.aniforte.co.uk/collecti...orte-omega-3-extract-100g?variant=37889904455

sandy-cat likes this.
  6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

With skin conditions I would suggest trying Evening Primrose oil or Hemp oil as well as the fish oils.
    Also ask your vet about using Piriton

7. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

The aniforte omega 3 extract sounds really good. Would one replace or give in addition to current supplement?

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I would give instead of current supplement of Omega 3 oil.

I am really pleased with it as I've been able to add it to the food of 2 of my cats who were refusing to eat if I added salmon oil or krill oil to their food. :)

Paddypaws likes this.
  9. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I'm not giving any omega 3 at the moment (Jessie hated the salmon oil I got from ZP). I meant the vit n mineral supplement I give as approx 50% of her diet is homecooked/raw. I don't want to inadvertently overdose either of them, given that the aniforte supplement has all these vitamins n minerals

10. sandy-cat

chillminx likes this.
  11. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Me too, I was just reading and thinking the same for the slightly older fellow in my life ;)

sandy-cat and chillminx like this.
  12. Starley 66

Starley 66 PetForums Newbie

Hello I am brand new on here...desperately seeking advice for Star my girl cat...she has always suffered with flea dermatitis....always treated her but this year the hot weather has made her back pretty bad...to not help matters I am rather penniless at the moment so vets is not an option ...I am on long term sick...so skint...please help with affordable suggestions to relieve my Star...have tried tons of home remedies....feeling like a very bad cat parent at the moment....

13. Starley 66

My post has disappeared!!!!

14. Starley 66

Ooops...there it is....☺

15. Starley 66

I have contacted P.D.S.A...but do not qualify for my catchment area...I rang my vets to see if they could help assist people on Universal Credit but no....rang the Blue Cross they told me about this site...I was advised to contact local catteries to see when they have vet visits to see if I could go along for free advice and treatment...last resort was advised to contact R.S.P.C.A...for financial support.So wish me luck ...would love any advice if anyone has any......☺

16. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

@Starley 66 home remedies will be a waste of time and money.
    You need to get on top of the flea situation and cheapest options are Advantage spot on PLUS Indorex to thoroughly treat the home.
    After that you could try fish oil and Evening Primrose or Hemp oil added to food to improve coat/skin condition.

Torin. and chillminx like this.
  17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I also have a cat who had flea dermatitis when I adopted him as a rescued stray 6 yrs ago. He has had no problems since I adopted him because I treat him every month without fail with Advantage spot-on as a preventative measure. This is the way you need to go with your cat. Mark on the calendar every month when the next treatment is due and never miss a date. .

As you are on welfare benefits the RSPCA may be able to help you financially with cost of veterinary and flea treatments. Or you could contact your local branch of Cats Protection to see if they might help
    with a voucher.

If your cat is not up-to-date with her annual booster vaccinations I doubt any cattery would wish you to take her there for ver treatment because of the health risk to the other cats.

Torin. likes this.
  18. Brightonian

Brightonian PetForums Junior

Thanks everyone. I’ve ordered 2 from Zooplus

Nutrivet wild salmon oil

Lintbells Yumega supplement

Has anyone used these in particular ?

19. sandy-cat

Yes I used Yumega oil for a while; Sandy won't touch it now. To be honest I'm not sure it made a huge difference as his coat is just as soft and shiny ad it was when he was on it, which I think is down to diet (moving to good quality wet food from dry), and it didn't seem to help his hotspots either.

20. Janeylo

Janeylo PetForums Junior

Yes we use Yumega oil and our cat really likes it. She has a very shiny coat despite occasionally suffering from flea dermatitis. She takes it straight from her spoon and will come in especially for it at the usual time each evening. When it’s been open a while she is a bit less enthusiastic so I sometimes don’t use the last little bit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice