Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

best puppy food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by little_miss_kitty, May 10, 2010.

1. little_miss_kitty

little_miss_kitty PetForums Senior

Hi everyone

Just wondering what everyone would recommend as the best food to feed my new puppy.

The breeder was feeding him on Tesco premium dry puppy food but it was giving him loose stolls so we've gradually been changing him over to James Well beloved dry kibble but its giving him really bad gas. I’m hoping this may change though?

Any recommendations>? (ideally I’d like something natural and organic but not raw as we don’t have a freezer...price doesn’t matter)
    Thanks

2. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

james wellbeloved didnt suit my first pup, he was better on burns.

my two current pups are both on arden grange and are doing fantastic on it. beautiful coats, nice firm stools, generally brilliant!

3. little_miss_kitty

Thanks for the reply

Is it possible to get samples of foods or is it a case of buying and trying each one to see what suits him best?

4. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i beleive if you email or call arden grange they will send u out loads of samples!! i think burns do as well. they both have really helpful staff!!

5. Heinz57(emma)

Heinz57(emma) PetForums Newbie

hello i asked the same qestion on another thread titled help needed, puppy food ?!? it helped me ! =)

6. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Skinners also send samples. Holly was on Pedigree, and is now on Skinners.

7. Roo

Roo PetForums Member

Without a shadow of a doubt 'The Natural Dog Food Company' range.

Holmfirth Bailey / Homepage offer free samples & free delivery on everything. Take a look, my dogs are doing absolutely brilliant on it.

8. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

have had dogs that have done very well on both Arden Grange and Burns puppy food. would recommend both. A friend uses the Arden Grange puppy to wean her litters.

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

My pup was on Wainwrights from Pets as Home and did v well. She is now on skinners hypoallergenic adult and doing even better. Unfortunately Skinners puppy has a few more cereals - hence the wainwrights

10. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I'm not a fan of JWB, my dogs had god awful glass and terrible tummies on it.

If price isn't a concern then Orijen without doubt. Widely considered the best dog kibble available in the UK. 75% Meat, 25% fruit and veg and thats it. No fillers, no crap. If it suits your puppy you can be assured you're feeding him the best diet available (besides raw obviously).

Orijen Puppy | Orijen Pet Foods .co.uk

If you're not looking to pay that much, I can't recommend skinners and arden grange enough.

11. little_miss_kitty

thanks everyone that’s really helpful. I'll see if I can get some samples of them all as I don’t want to pay for a bag of each if he decides he doesn’t like them (although he is a bit of a hoover so it seems unlikely that he would turn his nose up at anything)

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

(although he is a bit of a hoover so it seems unlikely that he would turn his nose up at anything)

Lucky you - that means you get the casting vote then. Wish her ladyship was like like him, but no she had to choose my second favourite :lol:

13. little_miss_kitty

Is she a fussy pup then :)

His favourite at the moment seems to be the cats food so I'm having to feed them on the kitchen table as its the only place he can't yet get to.

On getting home and inspecting the food its seems I'm not feeding him James Wellbeloved but Wainwrights. Does anyone have any experince of using Wainwrights?

14. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Yes, Heidi was on wainwrights puppy and seemed to do well.

She never really loved it but initially when she went off it, I tried so many things to get her to eat that she would take to initially and then stop, and gave her a poorly tummy. My only option then was to put her back on wainwrights because her tum was used to it and sit it out. I put her on adult at 10months by choosing my 3 favourites and then letting her make the final decision. When she did, I have stuck by it and had no problems.

There werent many puppy foods with low cereal amounts in my budget so it was difficult.

Perhaps you could contact Pets at Home and ask them if you could try another flavour of wainwrights, they will happily exchange the bag you have but it would probably be best to get a sample may be first. (I dont thnk trying another flavour in the same brand is as bad as changing brands)

Good luck, hope you soon sort it.

Ashamedly my cats are fed on the worktop but once I have sorted the problem on the ground which is now much better, the food will be going back on the floor and I will sort that one too.
    - always something:lol:

15. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Both of ours have had Wainwrights. From getting Willow (OES) she had Wainwrights so we changed our Beagle across to this as well as we had been having problems with him on JWB. They were both fine on Wainwrights until recently when Willow stopped eating it. I got concerned as she was losing weight rather than gaining so took her to the vets - he checked her out and said she was medically fine but that she was just probably bored with the food so suggested we change her to Butchers Tripe & biscuits - even this though she wouldn't eat much of. Someone on the forum mentioned Skinners and how helpful they were so I contacted them, they replied to me really quickly and sent some samples and tbh we have not looked back. Willow loves it and has a clean dish everytime so we have changed both of them across to Skinners. Saying this though we didn't have any problems with Wainwrights while they were on it, I would recommend it, it was just Willow decided to become a fussy eater! I think it is whatever suits your dog and they are happy with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice