Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

best place once mummy has her babies

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kitties, Aug 15, 2009.

1. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

what room is best for mum and babies? and whats the best kind of box ? ive go so many different size boxes here, and under bed storage kind of plastic things, what do you recommend?

2. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

Well poppy had a selection of boxed and showed no interest until she actually started and she picked the fabric cage. I put a towel over the top and blocked out as much light as possible and that mad her comfortable. The palce she picked herself she spent most of her time asleep on the top of the landing and under my bed. I would say take as it comes let her pick it and see how it goes.

3. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

yeah at moment Amber is just following me around, and sleeping wherever I am, though she cant get comfortable for long, we have made her a den in the living room, which she has been in a couple of times but now after reading posts on here I am thinking it may be too noisy for her?

I think I'll put the den upstairs and see what she thinks of it. Its a box with her favourite cushion and blankets in, and then a big large box over it that has a window in, so will be dark and cosy for them.

Did you have towels etc in every box? or just the empty box to see if she likes it? She prefers smaller boxes, but they aren't really going to be suitable for her with kittens. OOohhh im getting all excited now, now that Cubas and Poppys have been born.

4. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

There's no easy answer to that question.

Mum cat will choose what she thinks is best and there is no telling her otherwise.

A foster cat of mine years ago gave birth in a drawer and no matter how many times I moved the babies to a different place she always moved them back until they got a little bigger and she realised they wouldn't fit no more, at which point she moved them herslef.

My cat Nala made a nice little nest on my bed :eek: and proceded to give birth on my lovely new quilt cover.

Hopefully she will choose somewhere not too awkward.

5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

It's all exciting isn't it!
    I had newspaper in the box/es - reason being is that when Mum starts nesting (which may be a week before or a few hours before) she will go in and start ripping up the paper. That's a good indication which box she's chosen. Newspaper is fine but I've read about using incontinence pads on the floor if the box which are absorbent and can be easily chucked after the birth. A vet-nurse friend tells me they use them a lot in the vet hospital for lining hospital pens. Mum won't mind what she gives birth on (just ask Cuba, she had hers on a pile of folders!) - when it's all over you can put in a nice blanket. I'm not overly keen on towels or knitted blankets as the newborns' claws catch in them, worse case scenario is a thread pulls and gets wrapped around a little leg or tail.

Put a box in every room if you can - if there's a room you'd rather she didn't use, take the box out but be wary she might be determined and use the bed instead. I have to commend Cubes, even though the dog sleeps in the entrance to the spare room, she still found somewhere inaccessible and private. She's fine in my bedroom now by the way, door's kept closed, and doggy knows something important is going on, he won't go in there even when I tried to coax him. I did buy a second-hand baby gate for the room, got it home and it's too big by an inch!! (Old houses in my area have weird narrower doors than the standard average).

Off to make gooey noises at Poppy's babies now, your turn will come :D

6. deedeedee

deedeedee PetForums Senior

Hya

We had a few boxes with the disposable baby changing mats in them - (from Boyes £1.50 for 3) she had them under the drawers :rolleyes: which I also had a mat under as it is one of her favourite places so thankfully I put one there:).

We had to move her afterwards as the babies were crawling out:eek: then she started to move them behind a big set of drawers:eek:. We had a huge dog pen set up with a smaller box inside.:)

D xx

7. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone she is so uncomfortable tonight I feel sorry for her. Shes sat on the lid of her den all night, but she cant get her back legs comfy they are sort of sticking out to the side, to make room for her tummy, poor little thing. Not long left for her now, I keep telling her.

Shes really parky with her food as well, shes eating the dry ok, but her wet which she normally loves, shes not bothering with, apart from to lick the moisture off.

Great idea about newspaper will get some tomorrow, I never thought of that with the towels but makes perfect sense. Ive got a lovely sheepskin rug, we got her for when we brought her home as a kitten and a lovely fleecy baby blanket which we will use once shes had them.

Thanks all!

8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Sounds right to me, for some reason they prefer the dry when in the late stages, and good too as only a little of the dry is more nutritious than wet, imagine the babies are probably squeezing her stomach up so she can't get much in. Won't go into details but by coincidence I got to meet Bruce Fogle once cos of that!

9. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

The mess that happens when they are in labour use something that you don't mind getting ruined. I started with a towel over a old baby duvet, the problem with towels is that her claws get stuck in the towel, so i wouldn't recomend them. I put a towel down after just so i could remove the wet bedding. She is now lying on a baby blanket which she likes.

Hope this helps

xx

10. NicolaC

NicolaC PetForums Junior

I really wish cats could talk! They are all so different, Fizz is mainly on a dry diet and barely touches wet but is favouring wet just now.

11. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

LOL.... Cuba moved her babies during the night, to the cardboard box under my bed!

12. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh lol!!! amber is preferring living room right now but dont think she will want to be there with babies will she? we have 2 kids 8 and 11

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice