UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sois pas chiant, chéri.
12,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add oil to the dogs' food: which is best? I think Bear's dry scabby skin needs it. Can I put in cod liver oil as an all round beneficial oil? Is this likely to give the the runs?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Salmon oil is better than cod liver oil and you can use it on a daily basis. I was told that CLO prevents or hinders absorption of something, maybe something to do with the liver? but cannot for the life of me remember what it actually was! will try and hunt the post down.

Its that reason I use salmon oil and my boy has a beautiful coat on him :)

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
Mine all have salmon oil daily - very pleased with it!

Jake also has starflower oil because he needs that little something extra, he gets very dry flaky skin.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
There is yumega which is a skin supplement thats had good reviews they also do a yumega plus too if the skin is sensitive or itchy.
Dog Moulting, Dry Skin, Skin Allergies & Health Problems, YUMEGA Dog - Lintbells

Itchy Dog? Treat Dog Skin Problems, & Conditions with YUMEGA Plus - Lintbells

Other veterinary skin supplements that you can buy on line are viacutan plus and efavet

Viacutan Plus Capsules 550mg EFA - From £9.65

Efavet 330 Efavet 660 EFA Capsules - From £23.41

Not to particular get them from the links provided for info only

·
Banned
8,756 Posts
I personally give salmon oil and coconut oil ON their food.

I also rub coconut oil through their fur, I also have emu oil which i put on harv where his fur is abit thin and dry (from leaning on radiators)
Ive got some coconut oil in, how much do you give them and how often? It is a good all round oil? :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
my dogs really enjoy tinned sardines that i add to their food about twice weekly.
i dont add it for no reason only to add variety but they have no skin a coat problems. 40p a tin but they do say that many nutrients dont survive in tinned foods!

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Lucky gets raw oily fish twice a week (usually sardines, mackeral or sprats) and her skin and coat is lovely and soft.
Do you think its worth adding salmon oil?

Reading about supplements always makes me paranoid that she's missing out on something

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you're lookind for oily fish (I saw a post there) morrisons do sprats at 2.99/kg atm, and salmon trimmings at 1.99/kg if you're lucky on timing!

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Ive got some coconut oil in, how much do you give them and how often? It is a good all round oil? :)
I give a teaspoon 2-3 times a week on their food. I just melt a bit in my hands to rub through their fur when it's a little drier :)

Yes it's an all round brilliant oil, lots of uses for it!

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
I assumed the raw diet didnt need any other additives with it?
No you don't need to add anything but alot of us do as we can't afford/get things like oily fish, grass fed organic meat constantly so it doesn't hurt to add little extra supps in

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.