Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best Mousers?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MaineCoonMommy, Apr 15, 2011.

1. MaineCoonMommy

MaineCoonMommy PetForums Member

Just curious to ask who you all think make the best mousers. I know I read somewhere that the best are those outdoors who stay with mom for a few months. But do you all think there's a breed naturally inclined to be good mousers even without having been raised outdoors?

Really curious as my brother in law just bought a country home in Fance, and I can just imagine what's coming in the winter. :D Actually my mother just bought a big country house in Canada :lol: good luck to her. :lol:

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I don't know that there is any breed specifically. I had a moggy boy who we took on at around six weeks of age because he had been found in a barn with no mummy :( He was a brilliant ratter as well as mouser but obviously hadn't learnt that from his mum. He used to leave them on the doorstep and then get really cross if the magpies stole them :rolleyes: :D
    My Siamese girl caught a mouse in my conservatory just after we had brought her home (goodness knows how it got in :eek: but we never found any more) and I have heard from others who let their own Siamese out that they are excellent at catching mice - birds too :(:(

3. MaineCoonMommy

I was curious about the siamese. My mother in law used to have one which she spoiled rotten, but was sooooooo jealous-apparently she had to go away when her father died, for about a week or so, and when she came back the cat stared at her for ages before running up to her and scratching her face lol.

4. My black and whote moggy - elderly - is still a brilliant mouser!

5. lymorelynn

Staff Member

:lol: they can be jealous - I got a bite on the arm last night because I was cuddled the DH :rolleyes:
    They do make good hunters though. I had one several years ago that caught a mole :eek: Only just remembered that. She also tried to catch a stag beetle but I think that won :D I used to have a picture of the action but lost it when my old computer died :(

6. My moggy were found in a barn too! but he were only about three weeks! - lived in my pocket he did

7. MaineCoonMommy

We were thinking of getting her another cat. Not only cause she loved that cat so much and everyone knew how spoiled it was, but they tend to have a sporadic mouse problem, and thought maybe she could stop waking her husband up in the middle of the night to go clean out the entire walk-in cupboard to find the mouse :lol: But she's got grandchildren now, worried about getting her a siamese that will rip her face off for paying attention to the kids? LOL

8. lymorelynn

Staff Member

No - they're lovely really :):) Mai Tai is an angel with my Grandchildren and loves playing with them. I wouldn't want to put anyone off having a Siamese and once you've had one there's nothing else quite like them :)

9. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

When our lot had free range many moons ago :rolleyes: all the moggies were good at mouse collecting :rolleyes: Scutter was a good ratter :tongue_smilie: Milo our old MC was more of a knitting, kids toys & those mesh things fat ball are in for birds, type of catcher :lol:

10. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Moggys i'd say, but my old one which had a touch of siamese in her and she was brill, she constantly brought us pressies including a rat, but the best was when she had two frog legs out of her mouth, i agree on their temperament , if we went away and left her, when we came back home she would give us such a filthy look then turn her back on us, i shouldnt say it but it was so funny to see

11. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

id also say a moggie :)

12. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

My moggies have always been good mousers, in fact even with one eye and almost 16, my Scamp is still at it :rolleyes:: :)

13. MaineCoonMommy

LOL I imagined moggies would come out on top of the list! You don't become so resiliant without any skills. :lol:

14. lucylocket35

lucylocket35 PetForums Member

I'm hoping my boy is going to be a good mouser. We live on a farm and get them coming in the house at harvest time. :eek:

#14 lucylocket35, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  15. Myanimalmadhouse

Myanimalmadhouse PetForums VIP

Well theres an old wives tale from when I was a kid for farmers :-

"The bigger the ears - the better the catcher"

Dont know if theres any truth to it though :confused:

16. lymorelynn

Staff Member

:lol: that'll be why Siamese are so good then :D

17. MaineCoonMommy

I think that may be true. I mean some of these small wild cats have huge ears. Minoush can hear my toe moving slightly under a thick duvet (POUNCE!) :lol:

18. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Oh that sounds familiar, you darent move your feet, it seems like anything that moves under ithe duvet is fair game

19. MaineCoonMommy

Yes! Quite terrifying at times. :lol:

20. Catlover2

Catlover2 PetForums Member

My Norwegian is VERY good.....a frog today (well, most days - he chewed it's front legs off and left it...... :-( ), found the bloodied back end of some kind of rodent type animal in the hallway yesterday next to a very chomped bumble bee!

If it moves....he will catch it!
    ~x~

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice