UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol:

We have 1 cat and 2 kittens(all related), but I'm just going to train the mother soon to pee/poop outdoors to save costs on litter as we got 3 cats now.
Will be fitting a catflap too.

The plan is to build a patch with shelter (for the winter/rain) around 4ft square or maybe bigger.

I'm just wondering what would be the best medium to use. Obviously I'm going to filling it in with something, but I don't know what.

Don't want to be using soil because of mucky paws in the house.

In the future there is going to be 3 cats using this shelter, will there be a problem ?

I was thinking about a 2" bed of compost, lined with 2-3" of perlite or the stuff they use to soak up oil(very cheap), replacing the compost and perlite/oil stuff twice a year. Hopefully the costs will be minimum, say £30 a year at the most.

Any ideas? Cheers

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
What about Builders Sand, Its only about £1 for a big bag from B&Q. I was Thinking of using this when - If Ever,:rolleyes: Our Cat Starts to do the Toilet outside in our Garden.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about Builders Sand, Its only about £1 for a big bag from B&Q. I was Thinking of using this when - If Ever,:rolleyes: Our Cat Starts to do the Toilet outside in our Garden.
Yeah I thought about sand, but then I fiquired it would stick to their feet and drag it into the house etc Although it would be excellent for turds because it would dry it up fairly quicky, but it would not be good for urine... Sand doesn't really absorb it, well it does in a way but it won't drain down into the soil... It's a bit inert. I just imagine it would saturated with pee within a month and they'll refuse to use it. :confused1:

Perhaps I should get a shower bottom outdoors and modify the drain (make it a standard 4" drain and connect to sewer line).

Isn't that Eco-friendly or what ??!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.