Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best litter?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by McKenzie, Oct 12, 2013.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm just wondering what sort of cat litter everyone uses and why. I've just got Tala a nice new (huge!) litter tray and now I'm re-thinking what to use in it :)

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I use wood pellets in a purpose designed sieve tray. No odour, no tracking, safe for cats & kittens, very economical.

3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I must say I like wood pellets best too. I've recently been trying Oko Plus which is really economical but it tracks everywhere and drove me mad clearing up every five minutes so it's back to wood pellets for me.

4. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I've been using Biokats micro for just over a year and have absolutely loved it (fab clumping & no tracking) BUT they've just stopped stocking it :mad:

I've now got some Golden Grey to try so will see how that goes

5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Who are 'they'? Zooplus seem to have it listed. It sounds very similar to Everclean which R & L Pet Products list. Anyone who wants to buy litter they stock will get a very good deal if they can buy at a show, I think there is a list of shows they are attending on the R&L website.

6. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Sorry - yup Zoo+

The stuff they have now is very different from the Micro (which is really just like sand) as it's much bigger granules and (apart from the "mens" stuff which I tried & is awful :() a LOT more expensive

They do still have the Micro Fresh (but out of stock nearly constantly since they've stopped the Micro stuff - I guess people are panic buying that instead:confused:) BUT it does have quite a strong smell that not all cats likeA

ETA

This was the original Micro stuff

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...sa=X&ei=-ftYUsLpLaLP0QWJr4E4&ved=0CJIBEPUBMAg

#6 Lilylass, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  7. quienesesa

quienesesa PetForums Junior

I use wood pellets too. Environmentally friendly, not you pricey, and no smells. I just use any wood pellets I find in my local asda or sainsburys, they're both fine!

8. Procrastinatron

Procrastinatron PetForums Newbie

Just switched to OKO Plus from Catsan. All good so far. It gets everywhere, but then so did the Catsan, and Catsan started to smell easily / not last long when we switched Sonic to wet food (he probably takes in more liquid now).

It also seems a lot cleaner because it's clumping and you can take out the wee.

Might get a new (higher) litter tray...

9. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I was thinking about making something like that. The non-clumping pellets turn into dust, isn't it? Then I suppose they fall through the holes of the sieve and you can collect and dispose from there.

Did you make the tray yourself or there's already something in the market?

10. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I use Nature Gold. It's wood based clumping litter. Just like Oko, but in big pellets, which makes it less dusty.

11. rox666

rox666 PetForums Senior

I've just started using the Golden Grey in an attempt to stop a problem where one of my cats was weeing outside the litter tray. I can't rate it more highly - it is brilliant. Early days yet but so far we have had no more "accidents" and she really does seem to like the stuff. She has even started burying her wee/poo and she never used to do that.

As for tracking - barely anything. A bit of dust but nothing compared to the Oko. And seems to hide the smell better as well. So I am definitely a convert!

12. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

You''ll find lots of threads discussing the same topic.
    Generally most people go for wood pellets or Oko Plus. I can't get on with Oko plus. I tried it (again) but the tracking reminded me why I stopped using it to begin with. The Cats Best (bigger pellets) isn't much better.

I personally use Extreme Classic. A review can be found in my sig.
    I thought Golden Gray used silica which was bad for kitties health?

Links to your litter and tray? Please :p

Try Extreme Classic.
    It's exactly the same as Biokats but in my opinion covers smells better. After using up the last of Biokats, I won't be using any more.

#12 anotheruser, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  13. korrok

korrok PetForums Senior

At the moment the litter we're using is Sanicat Aloe Vera. It's a non-clumping litter and it's very scented, but the cats adore it, it does almost no tracking and the odor control is excellent. I'd like to try a good clumping litter but all of them seem to have major downsides.

In the past I've used wood pellets (no odor control and IMMENSELY MESSY, gets everywhere, never again!!!) and Catsan (needs changing really frequently, reasonable odor control, tracking not too terrible, but the cats LOVE to dig in it and kick it far and wide...).

14. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Readily available over here, someone was importing them to the UK they seem to be the only supplier of this exact tray but you might find something similar.

http://www.brit-pet.com/

I've been told you can buy a Chinese vegetable tray (which is the sieve part) and pair it with a solid tray underneath.
    I've never been able to find them though.

You can also get 2 trays and drill a bunch of holes into one of them.

15. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Ohhhh fantastic, thanks for the info!

Funnily enough neither of mine buried when I was using wood pellets & they both started when I switched to the Biokats - thinking it's probably because it's sorter on their paws?

Ohhhh I've not heard of that one!

Thanks - I'll get a couple of bags to try next time I need to order :)

Does anyone know if you can mix similar litters?

I've just re-filled Archie's tray (only do a full change every couple of months but take solids out ASAP & top up regularly) but that used up pretty much all the Biokats I had left.

Would I be able to use the Golden Grey for top ups - or would the different litter types not mix well?

Re the silicate in GG - I think there's some in some of the varieties but not all of them?

16. rox666

rox666 PetForums Senior

Golden Grey Master contains the silicate, the Golden Grey doesn't.

Is the Extreme Classic as fine as the Golden Grey? I'll check out your review.

17. robedha

robedha PetForums Member

18. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

Ah ha, I see :D
    I'll grab a bag and add a review although it won't be until after Christmas as I have three bags of Extreme Classic to use up!

Extreme Classic is pretty much sand consistency so I suspect they will be very similar, so it would come down to cost, tracking and how good it covers smells.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice