Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best litter for runny tummys??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by gemma1234, Feb 10, 2012.

1. gemma1234

gemma1234 PetForums Member

My cats have pretty bad tummys still. I have been using Bob Martin which clumps really well but doesnt have good odour control at all and tracks badly. I have just change to Oko plus but find that it doesn't clump that well and I end up with loads of little clumps spread across the litter tray which makes cleaning impossible.

Can anyone recommend a great litter for runny tummies?? Not too expensive as I'm having to empty the tray at least twice a week because it gets in such a mess!

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Woodchip? :confused:

3. gemma1234

Thanks but I assume that wouldn't solve the odour problem!

4. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

It does smell nicely of wood, and you can buy litter freshener to shake into the tray :)

5. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

with runny tummies i would be changing daily not twice a week ;) that will help with the smell

6. gemma1234

Obviously I take out the poo as soon as they go but I wanted to avoid changing daily as last week I spent £30 on litter!!! That's why I want to find something cheaper than Bob Martin.

7. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Oko should definitely work out cheaper than Bob Martin. I would put less in and just emply out and refill again. No idea about odour control ones never used any though I'd imagine more expensive.

Stool samples at vets now? Once whatever it is has cleared up then odour problems solved!

8. gemma1234

Yeh- still waiting for the results on stool samples :( can't wait until this is all over. I have also found out that the lady I got the cats from didn't send off the insurance papers so they're not insured. I am going to get trading standards & whoever else I can on her but at the momeng I just don't have time so focusing on getting these guys well!

9. scatchy

scatchy PetForums Member

My suggestion - a wood based litter such as Beauticat. The system I use and recommend -
    As soon as the tray is used empty the whole tray, spray with a litter tray deodoriser, dry with kitchen roll and add new litter.
    If there is plenty of clean litter left in tray you could carefully scoop it out into a clean tray and then top up with fresh litter.
    You do not need to put a lot of litter in tray.
    I use an empty plastic fresh soup container filled to the top but no more than 1 scoop full.
    We also used this system at the boarding cattery where I worked.
    I have 2 x 8 month old kittens and using this system I find a large bag of litter lasts me at the very least 2 weeks, usually much longer now as they have started using the garden.
    If they have diarrhoea and you do not clean the tray after they have used it there will be lindering germs which could add to the problem aswell as the smell.

10. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I would call the vet today and see if they've come back, just in case.

Personally, I don't believe this is going to be solved by dietary means, be it bland or otherwise though obviously if you see any improvements with a particular food then continue it. Basically you need medication, end of. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Hills a prescription, intestinal one?

IF the results are delayed or they return as negative ( as can frequently happen ) I would just as the vet to prescribe Metronidazole ( or whatever she suggests ) as this is a very good anti-parasitic/biotic which covers a wide range of organisms. I wouldn't waste any more time with stool-testing. Otherwise this will drag on for a lot longer and after all you're the one who's having to deal with it all on a daily basis!

11. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

I use Natures Gold. Worked well when Rowan was having tummy troubles.

I won't be posting on any more of your requests for help.
    I am hoping these cats dont actually exist, and you are just here for a reaction.

If these poor cats do exist I hope you manage to battle through your 1cm of snow and get them to a vets.

You posted this at 11.46am
    And this at 2.31pm

12. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Believe the insurance has been sorted since then. The lady in question later emailed to say she had at last forwarded the necessary paperwork.

I took the other ( red) to be a joke!

13. SharonC

SharonC PetForums Member

I use Pura cat litter.

It's fantastic stuff. It does track a little, but my 3 are messy buggers!!:D

Just for Pets stock it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice