UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Best Kitten wormer?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Orla 
#1 ·
Hi there!

I am soon to be getting a kitten (in 13 weeks time) after longing for a cat for around 15 years. He/She will be fed on a brilliant healthy cat food (Applaws Wet food and Applaws Dry food), found a great vet, and everything, but the thing that is stumping me is with worming. With my dogs I worm using Drontal because they have the tasty bones which make dogs more likely to eat them, but with cats, you don't seem to have anything like that. Is it best to worm using a liquid with cats? If not, how do you get them to take a pill and also what brand is the best?

My kitty won't be an outside cat except when on a harness, but I still want her/him to be nice and protected against worms. :)

#5 ·
I agree - Milbemax. But for an indoor cat I wouldn't worm unless I saw evidence of worms. For a cat going out only on a leash and harness I probably wouldn't worm either unless I saw evidence. Your cat is unlikely to toilet outdoors on a leash so you will be able to view deposits in the indoor litter trays.

I expect you are aware that Applaws wet is not a complete food. Applaws Dry does not suit all kittens (or adult cats), it seems to be very rich and can cause diarrhoea. So I'd go very carefully with it, and lean more towards feeding a good quality wet food for kittens that is complete. :)

Zooplus and The Happy Kitty Company both have good quality complete foods for kittens (and cats).:)

#6 ·
Mine have Milquantel from the vet - you can get Drontal for cats but they're fairly big pills and the ones from the vets are smaller and easier to give, although they may not be suitable for kittens that young so I'd check with your vet anyway.
How have you found Milquantel? My vet suggested that when I last popped in for wormer as it is cheaper than Milbemax but I stuck with Milbemax in the end

#7 ·
I get it from the vet, probably the same, just a different brand name?

I have to worm the ex stray every 4 weeks as he'll eat wildlife and I think vet's given me this the last couple of times I've been in. I didn't question it as I trust the vet.

#8 ·
Good to hear. It was the vet nurse that mentioned it to me but couldn't tell me the difference except price, but then she was also trying to sell me dry food to clean the teeth of my boy who had just had most of his teeth removed so didn't want to take her word for anything ;-) Might try it next time I am due then. Thanks for the feedback

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.