Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best kitten food and why...

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Lauren129, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Lauren129

Lauren129 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm new to the group and would like so info on what you feed your kittens/cats and why you chose that brand. I want to feed my kitten the best balanced diet, my vet (and most vets) seem to recommend Hills but I'm not actually sure this is the best. It doesnt tell you the meat percentage on the packets, does anyone know? And contains natural caramel colouring. Is this bad?

I appreciate all advice and reasoning behind it.

Thank you!!

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Hills is a grocery store brand. Not good by any stretch. However if you are talking about kibble, there is no good brand.

Feed your kitten wet food only. Look for products that don't contain a lot of junk and filler. Avoid things like corn and wheat and rice, "cereals", avoid sugar or anything ending in "ose" (which means sugar). Look for identifiable meat.

Kittens (and adult cats too) need a diet high in moisture. They cannot drink enough water to make up the deficit in an all dry diet. Get your kitten started on a wet diet now. Start with just one food. Once she's settled in and eating well, slowly (one at a time) start adding other wet foods until you have a rotation of 3 or 4 brands, and a variety of proteins.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice