Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best Insurers??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by PaulSnow, Feb 18, 2008.

1. PaulSnow

PaulSnow PetForums Newbie

Hi all, im a newbie here & just thought i would introduce myself & ask for some helpfull advise! Im Paul 25 from the West Mids, myself & my partner are collecting our first cat together on fiday.

She is a 3year old snowshoe called Minnie, & was just wondering which insurers people would recommend?

Thanks, Paul

2. LousKoonz

LousKoonz PetForums VIP

well well :D knew who you were the minute i clocked your avatar piccy lol :) x
    welcome from me x

as said to ya earlier i use petplan x i'm sure someone will give you some alternatives though on here :) xx

3. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

hi and welcome :)

Please send some pics when you get her :)
    yes i would say the same pet plan there are plenty others but i would always stick with pet plan best thing to do is get a few names and then look at their websites and see which one suits you :)

good luck x

4. BlackCat

BlackCat PetForums Member

I like Petplan too, although not the cheapest they pay out quickly and have had no problems with them. Marks and Spencer is also meant to be a good one to go for.

Its worth checking all the t&c's and small print with insurance. Try to go for a policy that offers lifelong cover, many don't and this leads to a sticky situation should a long-term problem ever develop.

Good luck with the new arrival :D

5. may

may PetForums VIP

I like Petplan too:D

6. PaulSnow

Looks like the general feeling is to go with pet plan then. So I take it they do offer life long policys?!

7. LousKoonz

LousKoonz PetForums VIP

they offer most things hun, including breeder policies which is another reason i'm sticking with them x

my neutered babes are all covered for life, wouldn't have it any other way x

8. PaulSnow

Yeah just been looking, they do life covers rather than 12months cover like most, but how is that a benefit? what policy do you have with them?

9. PaulSnow

Alot of places like direct line offer a 12months policy witha 6K vet fee limit, is that not a good thing?

10. LousKoonz

LousKoonz PetForums VIP

its a benefit for one as you don't have to mess about renewing - you know the cat will be constantly covered and there's no mucking about x

plan i'm on for mine at present is supercat, i'll dig out the details later on x

11. PaulSnow

So has anyone used direct line or tesco etc? & how did you find them when making a claim? as i need to get this sorted before friday when we pick her up! cheapest quote i have had is from a company called e&l i think!

12. BlackCat

I'd avoid E&L I'm afraid, there's a reason why they're so cheap!!

Direct Line are okay, and I think Tesco are meant to be as well. Just check that you are happy with policies etc and the long term cover.

13. PaulSnow

So i take it they have a bad reputation then? I know im sounding really cheap by trying to find cheaper than PetPlan, just after having bought our 1st house & paying lots of different bills im having to be carefull how much more come out a month.

What does the excess tend to be on petplan? as i cant find that on their site!

14. LousKoonz

LousKoonz PetForums VIP

65 quid hun on supercat plan x

15. BlackCat

One of the problems with E&L is that its very difficult to put a claim through, and for them to pay out in my experience. I'm a veterinary nurse and have dealt with many clients who've tried to claim for treatment they've been told will be covered, only to find E&L have changed their minds. Having spoken to people in other practices it seems to be a common problem throughout.

Have spoken to a colleague whose dog is insured with Direct Line (and has incurred a lot of costs as he's needed lots of orthopaedic treatment) and she's found them to be great. Even though she claims often for him, the monthly fee/excess haven't increased much either.

16. LousKoonz

LousKoonz PetForums VIP

well sounds like theyre pretty good aswell then :D x

17. PaulSnow

I have been looking through the list of insurers I have had quotes from & one of the best seems to be M&S? they like PetPlan do not set a limit on the condition costs but do set a limit of 7K a year on claims.

Direct line do seem good but as like others such as more than, will only insure a limit of 6K per condition for the life of the pet, which i dont think is that great?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice