Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best food - Toy Breeds??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by NathanbUK, Aug 5, 2009.

1. NathanbUK

NathanbUK PetForums Junior

So I have a chihuahua who's roughly nine weeks and she currently on beta puppy which i'm aware is not premium (owners were feeding beta). When I went to the vets I got a free bag of hills science plan food, and the vet more or less made it clear to me that I'm going to change it to that ( I said nothing personally). Is it worth changing, is the beta good or are there any good premium foods out there for toy breeds preferably chihuahuas. Thankss.

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I know Royal Canin do a specific Chihuahua food but it's from 8 months but they probably do a puppy food too.:)

3. davehyde

davehyde Banned

hi, as it is a chi it wont eat massive amounts.

what i would do is forget the hills.

i would email all the real premium food people . and ask whats in their food ingredient wise add itives etc and go for the absolute best you can find.

as its a little chi the food will last for ages.

oops didnt notice her age sorry.

i was a real fan of royal canin once but the breed specific stuff i thought was a con.

give her the best you can get as long as it will remain in the best biuy date. orijen is good

#3 davehyde, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  4. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

beta isn't a good food neither is Hills, the reason your vet is pushing it is because they get a kickback from the company for selling it. Orijen is a great food but I've not given it to a puppy so I can't comment on how well they do on it but as they have a puppy food I would imagine it would be fine. It costs me £2.50 a week to feed 2 shelties on Orijen so I would imagine with your wee one your looking at a lot less than that :D.

Terri

5. Yorkshire mum

Yorkshire mum PetForums Junior

Hello, I have a Chihua hua puppy about a week younger than yours, I think a boiled egg is a very good meal, mine really likes it, she also has a bit of dry complete and the cats Royal Canin. I have not been to vets yet for vaccination as I was waiting till she is bigger. Last night she had ham.

6. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

My pugs are fed on Royal Canin. i do agree the breed specific ones are a con. They do a pug specific one which is too rich and they put on weight too easily with it.

The royal canin small bite junior then royal canin small bite adult is a great food. makes for nice, solid, odorless poos - oh and they like to eat it too!!! :p

7. peppapug

Hi Yorkshire mum. The diet you are suggesting is not the best for a young puppy. Cat food is too oily and rich for pups, and ham is too salty. This does not give your pup a balanced diet. I am sure the vet will recommend a complete diet for yours too ;)

8. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Burns, mini bites is for puppies and toy breeds.
    I've fed it to mine their whole lives.
    You just reduce the amount once they've stopped growing.
    Lily weighs 9lb fully grown and has 60 grams a day so a chi fully grown will probably only need about 30

9. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Sorry but I agree with peppapug, if you keep feeding that to your pup you are likely to have an ill dog on your hands. Please think about putting your wee one on a decent dog food.

Terri

10. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

i feed all mine on this,really good stuff!! and my little chi x thrives on it.

11. everyone will have a different opinion on what is or isnt a good dry food.

In my opinion burns and arden grange take some beating.

However - if the food you are feeding suits your dog, its happy, healthy, and has no tummy troubles then there really is no need to change.

I prefer wet foods, and billy (also a teeny dog) is fed on naturediet with raw meaty bones to keep his jaw and teeth in good condition. There is a myth that dry food keeps a dogs teeth clean - but it is a myth.

congrats on your new chi, i grew up with chi's and my parents still have 2.

12. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

My Pomeranian's and chihuahua are all fed on Royal Canin Mini Adult and Junior, your little chi would be on RC mini Junior it's a very tiny kibble designed for tiny toy breed mouths, my pups thrive on it.

Take care
    Sarah

13. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Raw :D

Always the best option for any breed IMO.

I do also feed a few meals a week of dry complete food though, either Royal Canin or Pro Plan.

I've never heard of Beta...

14. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i am actually worried for your dog if you keep feeding this to her. that is not a good diet in the slightest. cat food is certainly a huge no for dogs, far too rich for them. the ham is far too salty and i dont really agree with the egg either though i know some people do that.
    your dog should be on dog food. preferably a high quality dry, but frankly any dog food is better than what shes on just now.
    (sorry if i sound blunt or harsh, but please reconsider this diet)

15. why preferably a dry food? out of interest? it is neither natural nor good for their teeth. I am with you on the cat food and ham, but i disagree completely on the eggs. Each to their own.

I agree with the other poster that raw is generally the best diet for any dog, but for those who dont want to go down that route a high quality wet food is the next best thing.

16. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i do agree with you that raw is most likely the best diet for a dog, although more work goes into it, which i think is why a lot of people dont feed it.
    dry food isnt bad for their teeth though, any food that a dog has to crunch or chew on helps keep their teeth clean. whereas a wet food is more inclined to stick to the teeth. i am in no way saying that wet food is bad, as we all know there is some fantastic wet food on the market such as naturediet. ive just always fed my dogs on good quality dry and they have always loved it and iv never had any health problems. if i ever was to feed wet, i would have to do a mix of wet and dry though rather than wet alone.
    as you say though, each to their own. everyone has different views, and i suppose there is no right and no wrong. though cat food is wrong :p

17. This is where i disagree again, dry food can and is worse for a dogs teeth as the tiny particals get stuck between and can cause the teeth to decay more rapidly than when feeding wet or raw. Chewing on something such as raw bones or a perposefully made chew toy can and does help keep the teeth clean. Unfortunatly its a common misconception that dry food will keep a dogs teeth clean.

Dogs are designed to crunch and chew on bones, (i wish i could find my article), and it is this abrasive action which reduces plaque. Crunching on kibble only breaks the kibble into tiny particles which stick to the teeth and can speed up.

A happy medium between feeding raw and dry is to feed a wet food with ample chew toys.

sorry for the thread hijack!

18. Shereen

Shereen PetForums Newbie

19. Yorkshire mum

Yorkshire mum PetForums Junior

Please dont worry for my puppy!!

I do very well with my dogs I can assure you, the diet I gave my little girl was just the other day, she has a varied diet. I have 2 massive sacks of Hills from a dog show I was recently at, lots of Royal Canin cats food as I have just got an order, a freezer full of Landywood organic meat.

What on earth do you lot think that people used to feed their dogs on before complete dog food came about, healthy dogs that did a good days work.:001_tt2:

20. peppapug

I am sure you do know what you are doing. I think we were just offering advice now that complete balanced foods are around. Your pup is a baby, it doesnt take long if you chop and change what you feed for them to get the runs and being such a small breed go down hill quickly.

Advice is just that, you can choose to take it or leave it ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice