Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best food for cocker spaniel puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by HannahMorrow, Jan 30, 2021.

1. HannahMorrow

HannahMorrow PetForums Newbie

Hi there,
    I have a 6 month cocker spaniel who came to us used to a mix of beta dry food with pedigree puppy wet pouch. I have just maintained this however I’m nearing the end of my large bag of beta food and exploring other foods. I read that both foods aren’t brilliant but there’s so much info out there it’s a mine field to navigate.
    For other cocker owners what would you recommend? Do I maintain a mixed dry/wet diet?

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Have a look at https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ You can put in parameters (including cost) and see what fits the bill. It gives foods a rating out of 5.
    It's up to you if you feed wet, dry, raw, a mix, and not everything suits every dog or every owner.

HannahMorrow likes this.
  3. Philippa Jane Heath

Philippa Jane Heath PetForums Newbie

4. Philippa Jane Heath

Philippa Jane Heath PetForums Newbie

I feed Lulu our working Cocker and Bear our cockapoo with cooked chicken thigh mixed with IAMs . Saves a fortune and healthy. It gives them a warm breakfast and supper and stops potential allergies. Beautiful teeth and shiny coats on both dogs.

5. HannahMorrow

Thankyou for replying. Can I ask how much chicken you would give for each meal?

6. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Cocker spaniels do very well on raw diets.
    I have reared puppies starting at 2.5 weeks using the raw product for many years, There is no need to cook anything, but if you must cook, just simply blanch the meat leaving it pink inside. Chicken bones fed raw only are absolutely fine too, very good for cleaning teeth and keeping gums healthy, and of course providing a good natural source of calcium..
    1/2lb meat each daily, feeds our lot when they are not working.

Our cockers vary in age from 3 years to 10.5. Their main food is a huge variety of different meats and bones. They do also get a few healthy household scraps and raw veg with any over ripe fruit that we may have. I always keep a bag of good quality GRAIN FREE kibble available for when I forget to take frozen out of the freezer. "Millies Wolfheart".
    Sometimes they get a handful of kibble scattered on the floor as we go out, if we are going to be gone for a while. (shared between 6 dogs)

"Millies Wolfheart" is a lovely product if you have to use a kibble, with a huge choice of protein levels and meat varieties.

"Natures Menu" is also a product that goes down well (and convenient too), they produce a good selection of raw products their "country Hunter" varieties are loved. They also produce tinned and sachet products.

Mixing any of the above type products is not a problem in our household.
    ---------------------------------------
    I hope you find something that suits yourself and your pup.

HannahMorrow and Sarah H like this.
  7. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Erm Chicken is one of the most common allergies...

8. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

The pets at home step up to naturals dry food is pretty good. I feed this with naturo wet mixed in. They also have a raw chicken wing each every day and a raw mince stuffed kong I'm thinking of switching to raw but need to do some research and clear a drawer in the freezer!

9. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

Out of curiosity - do you feed human grade chicken wings or do you buy them from raw dog food supplier? Couple of weeks ago I had freshly defrosted chicken wings and gave one to my pup on the whim (he's not raw fed), he had the time of his life with it and no issues with his tummy whatsoever so I was thinking about making it a regular treat. But apparently human grade meat is not safe for raw consumption and I spent next couple of days worrying about it x

10. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

The human grade wings will be fine and very beneficial if used on a regular basis. Remember they will have good food value, more than just a treat.
    A lot of our pet products will be unwanted carcases and wings from the human manufacturing factories, sold to pet distributers. Absolutely fine.
    Keep an eye open in the supermarket for reduced packets of the wings, freeze them and use as required. Ours love them.

Mum2Ozzy likes this.
  11. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

Thank you! Yeah on that day I reduced the size of his next meal a bit. I feed him some home cooked food as well so I need to use calcium supplement to balance phosphorus in meat; but if I could include couple of raw chicken wings I wouldn't have to worry about it. Besides it just feels wrong for dog not have a bone every now and again!

12. HannahMorrow

Thanks for taking time to reply to me, that’s interesting and helpful to know as I’ve been trying to understand benefits of raw diet. It might in deed be worth a try.

13. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

My favourite little book that I often mention is;
    "Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs". It is easy to read and easy to understand. Full of information, It's useful for beginners and regular feeders.
    It can be purchased on Amazon for as little as 1p at times.
    Honey's used to give them free of charge, not sure if they still do now..

14. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

If you are interested in raw feeding then join BARF UK on Facebook, the following site is useful https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ But ultimately the best food is the one that suits your dog..not all are the same even if the same breed.

15. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

I just buy a pack from the supermarket Dottie has been having them for a few years with no issues. I did just post though that Billy (6 months) has had diarrhoea after having raw chicken but I think that's maybe because he's not used to it. He's fine in himself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice