Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

best filter

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by impossiblegirl, Aug 31, 2019.

1. impossiblegirl

impossiblegirl PetForums Newbie

does anyone know what a good filter is for a 24l tank? I have one currently but worried the flow is too powerful for the fish - any help appreciated!

2. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I have a fluval U1 in my 30l. What fish do you have in your 24l?

3. impossiblegirl

I have one red&white oranda and one black moor

4. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I know this isn't what you have come here to ask but I`m afraid your 24l is far to small for either an oranda or a moor! Are you intending to move them to a larger tank soon?

NaomiM likes this.
  5. impossiblegirl

what is the ideal tank size for these fish do you know?

6. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I will tag @magpie for you as she owns fancy goldfish so will be able to give you good advice. Orandas and Moors can grow huge and very quickly so need plenty of space. Unfortunately some pet shops and aquatic centres give terrible advice and will sell anything however unsuitable! 24l is one the small side for anything really but you could (once the cold water fish have been removed obviously) add an heater and have Betta they are beautiful and very friendly.

Have you carried out a fishless cycle before adding the fish?

magpie and NaomiM like this.
  7. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

For those two as adults they will need a minimum of 140 litres, though bigger would be better. And as they are such large fish and produce a lot of waste, external filters are better than internals. The filter should be able to turn over the volume of the tank at least 6 times per hour, so a 140 litre tank would ideally need a filter of at least 840 litres per hour.

While they are still babies you can get away with a smaller tank, but not as small as 24l unfortunately. They will become stunted if they stay in a tank that small for too long, which is very bad for them & can cause health problems. I don't have pics of my fish on my phone but there are a few threads on here with photos of them to show how big goldfish get. My biggest one is around 9 inches long.

Do you have a liquid test kit to check your water quality?

NaomiM, kittih and 3dogs2cats like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice