Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best dust free litter?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Megan Carpenter, May 13, 2020.

1. Megan Carpenter

Megan Carpenter PetForums Junior

Can anyone recommend a good dust free cat litter? My cat currently has one from Morrison’s that’s similar texture to Catsan. The granule type. It’s non clumping. She doesn’t like wood pellet ones.
    Anyway, she has chronic cat flu so sneezes a lot and I find it’s quite dusty which surely doesn’t help! She generally only uses the litter tray for a wee, and goes outside for number 2.
    Any good ones out there that are less dusty?

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Is this the girl with 3 week old kittens? She Shouldn't be going out to toilet or she'll be pregnant again before you know it.
    It only takes a second for her to run off and she can be in heat before you notice, which she also doesn't need to be in to get pregnant it just makes them more receptive.

For litter we use wood pellets in sieve trays, no dust, no tracking, no odour, safe for kittens.

Megan Carpenter likes this.
  3. Megan Carpenter

She won’t use the litter tray for a number 2 so we spoke to our vet for some advice. Luna wont go outside alone so she always has myself or my partner with her. She does her business then runs straight back in! If I go to walk away to give her privacy she follows me, so I just stand whilst she goes. I think she’s an angel :Happy I’m not sure what happened in those weeks where she was wandering the streets but she just won’t go out unless someone is with her. The vet said this is fine as long as we are on the ball and always watching her!

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Terrible, irresponsible advice from the vet.
    The concern will be when she's coming into heat, before you see the signs, it takes just a second for them to take off as we see over and over on this site.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

How many litter trays? Are they all open or covered? Far better to find out how to get her to pass stool in a litter tray than undergo the risks of letting her out. At the very least put her on a secure harness & lead to take her out.

spotty cats likes this.
  6. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Megan Carpenter
    Hi,
    Could you try different types of boxes as said but also to begin with, use dirt from your garden, preferably in an area she has used to toilet?
    Then gradually reduce the amount of earth from outside and more litter.

Also once she is in heat, she won't be as hesitant outside but likely scamper off. She may even go out when you don't notice. So make sure any cat flaps etc are not accessible till she is spayed.

I have a pellet litter that works well & is not dusty that you could try, let me find the link, and I will post it.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  7. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

8. Megan Carpenter

We do have a harness for her :) we have 3 litter trays, 2 open and one with a lid. She much prefers open ones! She uses it perfectly well for a wee. We don’t have a cat flap either, she basically tells us when she needs to go.
    Thank you for the link! We tried a pellet litter and she hated it, refused to go. Soon as we swapped to the granules she was much happier but they are quite dusty!

9. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Megan Carpenter
    Ah ok, I never used wood pellets but thought they were different, as are supposed to be in a sieve tray I heard.
    The tofu/green tea ones are fine without a tray and dust free.
    All the other litters I tried were dusty to varying degrees except for the pellets.
    Almo Nature leaves dust on the paws but not in the air as some litters do, if you want to try, it is not clay based but vegetable fiber.

Megan Carpenter likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice