Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best dry mixer kibble for adding to canned wet food May 2017 ?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by BigBoss, May 21, 2017.

1. BigBoss

BigBoss PetForums Junior

Best dry mixer kibble for adding to canned wet food May 2017 ?

I have weened my small terrier (just over two years old now) off of a constant only "Iams complete dry food kibble" diet since pup and for past few months now I have been mixing canned "Butchers Original Recipes Loaf In Jelly (Variety) " or the ordinary "Butchers Tripe Mix" (whatever is available in the supermarket at the time), some of the canned food gets mixed along with some of the complete dry food Iam's kibble, he loves it and always a licked clean bowl every time :) , his toilet poo poo times have been fine too. EDIT : (Also, since a pup and still now he always gets a normal table spoonful of pure olive oil mixed into every meal too, I personally believe or think this is why he has a gorgeous silkly smooth coat, he is a double coated type terrier and gets hand stripped when groomed every five or six months).

The reason for the change was that he was quite often scratching at the ears and as lots of people know including my Vet, Iams are famous for allergies with 'some dogs' and I couldn't bear to sit any longer watching him scratching at those poor ears even though the Isaderm cream works great, but I thought enough's enough and that was that.

So, like I mentioned, since introducing the Mix of wet and dry his itchy ears have literally stopped, but as both of these foods are in a sense "complete" foods, I was thinking it's probably better I take the Iams right out of the equation altogether and replace with an easy sourced dry mixer kibble/biscuit that are easy to get at the normal supermarkets.

I have a Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda all quite close to me and have access to a car, so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem.

Now that I have explained all that, question is, what would be the best Mixers kibble biscuits to add in with his Butchers canned meat ?

I tried the website www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk but I can't find a section that relates to my type of question.

Maybe some people can give me some ideas if they have been using mixers from the regular UK supermarkets please ?

Thank you. ;)

Links to what he has been getting a mix of just now are here >>>

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=253965985

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=254908154

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=250581147#r:sr:sr:38:1:7:53928740::c,search

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=292389375

p.s, in Vets the other day for his booster jab, they gave him a clean bill of health and said he was as fit as fiddle and weight etc and everything were fine, but just once in while (not often at all) he still gets slightly itchy ears, so the vet cream (Isaderm) always sorts that out quickly, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was when on the Iams dry diet only, so I guess introducing the meat must obviously have helped a lot, I hope.

#1 BigBoss, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Have a read through the sticky from the top of this page: The Updated Dry Dog Food Index

If you have a Wilko store near you, they are beginning to stock decent brands of kibble now.

BigBoss likes this.
  3. BigBoss

BigBoss PetForums Junior

Thanks @Twiggy , but no, don't have any wilko's anywhere near me at all, not even a short car drive away sadly :( closest is 36 miles away, I know that may seem like a short journey to some people but to me that's a long journey, lol.

But I do have Sainsburys, Asda and Tesco supermarkets very close by, I haven't tried any of their mixers yet but was just thinking that surely one of those supermarkets must have something that would do the job ? It's doesn't have to be the supermarkets own brand, I am open to try any brand of course.

It's just like I said in my first post, right now I am basically mixing his food with two types of 'complete foods' and I wouldn't imagine that is what should be done, plus I would like to just get away from the Iams altogether for the reasons stated too.

Anyone any Ideas apart from ordering stuff on the internet, much handier if I can just get the stuff from the supermarket any time required, I know in an ideal world that is what we would all do, but it's not always possible, but maybe someone will know or have tried mixers from the supermarkets if they would like to get back to me please ?

Thanks ;)

#3 BigBoss, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. rockdot

rockdot PetForums Senior

Sometimes it can be wheat or maize in the dog food that causes itching.

Why only buy from supermarkets? Most supermarkets don't offer many quality pet foods. If you buy online you can often get free delivery to your door.

My favourite good quality, budget dog food is the skinners duck and rice, it doesn't contain the most common allergens that can cause things like itching. If you look online, it's almost always on offer somewhere.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-F...485217&sr=8-1&keywords=skinners+duck+and+rice

BigBoss likes this.
  5. BigBoss

BigBoss PetForums Junior

Thanks @rockdot , I only need a mixer, not a complete food you see.

I am quite happy so far with the change to the Canned Butchers brand that I showed in my first post, I just need a slightly half decent mixer kibble/biscuit to bulk the canned meat up a bit as right now I add Iams dry kibble just now to do that and that means those two things are both "complete" foods, so I would imagine that it's best just to get a half decent mixer to put through his canned meat, I am trying to stop the Iams kibble as I know for a fact that is what was causing the ear itching all the time but since months ago when I started cutting down on the Iams and using the wet canned butchers brand meat I can see that he is hardly ever scratching at his ears at all, so it could well be on the odd occasion when he does scratch at them is simply because some Iams is still being mixed in with the canned food.

I know some people might suggest just give him the entire canned food then and forget the dry mixer altogether, but I have to take one step at a time and don't want him to get a bad stomach if you know what I mean.

for example, here is a couple of mixers that Tesco sells ----

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=278701684

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=273888487

No doubt sainsburys and Asda will do other products which are their own brand and/or other brands too but I haven't looked, well I have looked but I don't want to post up loads and loads of links, lol

#5 BigBoss, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If you are feeding two complete foods half and half that's perfect.

If you are feeding half a complete food, and half a complementary food...then that isn't a 'complete' diet.

Mixers are designed to go with complimentary foods to make a complete food.

To be honest you would be better off just feeding butchers alone. Many dogs are feed complete wet foods all the time....it wouldn't be one step at a time changing to a mixer from a complete food. It would be gentler on digestion to increase the wet, as mixers are totally different from the complete food anyway, so it would be a massive leap if you are worried about a reaction from your dog.

BigBoss likes this.
  7. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Natures Menu make 3 choices of nice "mixers" (2 of them are flavoured). I have not discovered that any of these alter their poo's.

Laughing Dog make a "Sweet potato" mixer, "Gloriously grain free". I have discovered that this one makes poo's soft ish.

There must be others around but I have not found them yet !

BigBoss likes this.
  8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Our local smallish Tesco now stock Lily's kitchen (canned and trays) plus Naturo trays but don't think they do a decent kibble. Skinners Trial (duck and rice) can usually be purchased from country type stores if you have any in your location. Somewhere like Mole Valley Farmers for instance.

BigBoss likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice