Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best dry food for my two older cats (11 and 12 years old)

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by JTG85, Jun 23, 2021.

1. JTG85

JTG85 PetForums Newbie

Hello all. Sorry to trouble you. I am a new member and would like to ask your advice about dry cat food for my two cats. Is there a brand, or brands, that you would recommend over lots of others?
    Historically, one of my cats was on Royal Canin Satiety as she was overweight and the other, RC Oral Health due to gingivitis. They both enjoyed their food but I wanted to stop feeding them RC as I know it is not the best nutritionally. I would like them to be on the same food and they have been enjoying Lily's Kitchen and James Wellbeloved recently. Two/three times a week they have a ton of Thrive chicken and broth to mix it up a bit. I understand from other threads you don't necessarily recommend Senior cat food for older cats and suggest salmon oil as a supplement.
    I look forward to hearing your suggestions. Thank you for your help

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I am not a fan of dry food at all and with the current issues I would be very careful. If you are happy with Lily's Kitchen and James Wellbeloved I would stick with them for now. As far as I am aware there have been no recalls of either product.

cava14 una likes this.
  3. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

ALL dry food is bad for cats. Cats derive most of their moisture from their food as they have very little thirst drive, so cats who eat a dry food diet are often dehydration, leading to chronic dehydration and this can lean to bladder and kidney problems.
    Most dry foods also have a high carbohydrate and grain content, and cats are obligate carnivores.
    Dry food is also very addictive, and cats who eat a dry food diet are often over weight or obese. I'm not saying ALL cats who eat dry are overweight, nor am I saying no cats who eat a wet diet are overweight. However, most cats who are overweight eat dry.
    Many people leave dry food out for cats to graze, and cats don't graze by nature.
    Unfortunately, the worst wet food is better than the best dry food.

This is NOT criticism of you, you are doing your best for your cats and dry food is popular and marketed well.

I can't really recommend any dry food, as my cats have always eaten wet. Your cats are older, and they may be stuck in their ways, like some human beings when they get older. Other people may be able to help you with dry food choices. If you wanted to change to a wet diet, an older cat might not want to or might not like it. If you did make the transition, it would have be be slowly. But if you decided to stick with dry, I can understand why. As I said, this is not a criticism of your cat ownership, we all try and do our best.

4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@JTG85: Right now I wouldn't feed any dry food to be honest; not until the current problems are resolved.

Jackie C, lorilu and lymorelynn like this.
  5. Dreamiesburglar

Dreamiesburglar PetForums Junior

I think Orijen is one of the best dry foods available. Expensive but it's very high quality. It's what I give now occasionally to my cat (after 2 Applaws bags unfortunately and initially Arden Grange Kitten).
    You can't go wrong with that as far as ingredients. It's also not affected by the current recall. I don't think it's produced in the UK in fact. All I could find on Google is Canada and then Kentucky in the US but not sure if that's for just the products destined to North American markets.

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Orijen has lots of different proteins in each type, which makes it a poor choice for cats with sensitivies.

Treaclesmum and lorilu like this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It's also very highly over rated. People think it's "good" because of marketing and the price. In reality it's just another kibble, and too much fish besides.

Your cats would be far better off if you transitioned them to a wet diet. You are correct the RC is a very poor quality diet, but al kibble is pretty much the same, dehydrating, high in carbs, species inappropriate.

Getting them on a high moisture diet now will help them with their kidneys and bladder health as they age, not to mention they will feel and act so much better! :) .

8. Siobhan O'Reilly

Siobhan O'Reilly PetForums Junior

I do feed a little bit of Thrive dry.
    In my opinion it's the best on the market currently and they have confirmed that they have no affiliation with recalled factory.
    My boys diet is 90% wet, but I will leave down a little bit before I go to bed, otherwise they are licking my nose at 3am haha.

I alternate between the Chicken and Turkey flavours. Their freeze dried treats are also great.

9. Dreamiesburglar

Dreamiesburglar PetForums Junior

@OrientalSlave @lorilu well of course it won't be good for a cat with allergies and you will need to tailor the food to the cat but mine has no allergies and has been fed so far a variety of flavours and has coped well with any of them.
    She also gets the kibble occasionally. It's different if you feed dry as the only food.
    Anyway I think Orijen works well for me and has a high percentage of protein so it's good enough for my cat.
    I prefer that to feeding a kibble with more filler. She likes it and has not shown any problems. Since it's only occasionally fed the fish content is not a problem. I do try not to feed fishy flavours. Now she's eating pretty much just turkey and duck only so nothing with fish for the wet, which is her main food.
    Mine was a recommendation based on my experience and the brand is overrated of course like many other things but it's undoubtedly high in protein and poor in fillers.

I thought a high percentage of protein signalled quality after all (and yes, I did read the ingredients well and it's not full of vegetable proteins, which are of poor biological quality), then if you have a cat with allergies then that's another matter, is it?. Orijen says it's 85% meat so the filler is very limited compared to lots of other kibble. Arden Grange that I bought initially was only 50%. Not all kibble is the same if you read the labels.

There are other good brands like that. Lily's Kitchen, Taste of The Wild etc. I thought Applaws was a good brand too but with that recall I won't be buying their food again I'm afraid and not even their wet anymore.
    If OP's cat has allergies etc. then they should consider a more hypoallergenic kibble. She didn't mention allergies in her OP so I don't see a problem with it.

I agree with the recommendation of avoiding dry because of the poor moisture content and it's generally more caloric as well. I still give my cat a handful of dry occasionally and I should not at all but she gets it as a treat or when we're gonna be both away at work and I don't wanna leave out wet so I leave some dry in her treat ball. We don't have those timed dishes because that's only 4 days a month that we're both on night shifts on the same night so the cost would not be justified. Also we feed her when she is hungry and not on a schedule as she is good with her appetite. Sorry for the long reply! I'll shut up now.

#9 Dreamiesburglar, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  10. There is no such thing as high quality dry food. All dry food is harmful for cats and species inappropriate. It may be some cats are addicted to dry (that's a different issue caused by the nasty Animal Digest it is sprayed with, and it will require transition). But the worst wet food will always be better than the "best" dry. We have seen first hand on this forum the crises in urinary health, diabetes, CKD etc that dry food causes, (this includes the nonsense that is prescription dry food) often in cats which were previously "fine and healthy". And I say that having lost my cat to a blockage after the vet said dry would be good for his "teeth" (another nonsense). Dry food has very high margins for pet food manufacturers. Hills, a major producer of dry food, also publishes the leading veterinary text book used by vets (Small Animal Clinical Nutrition) - you see the conflicts of interest right there.

Read this:

www.catinfo.org

#10 Deleted member 1510209, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2021
    lorilu likes this.
  11. Not ever tbh.

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice