Separate names with a comma.
Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.
Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Soph3194, Mar 13, 2018.
It varies from bitch to bitch.
Some can be receptive as early as 10 days and some as late as day 20, although the norm would be between days 11 to 14.
Occasionally, for some reason, a tie isn't achieved, but that doesn't necessarily mean the bitch won't conceive.
What breed are these?
How old is the bitch?
If your dog is penetrating but not tying, that is likely down to the bitch.
The first mating may have been too early, especially if she was snappy, but she complied because she felt intimidated.
You're in a difficult position now because this bitch has been mated 3 times, albeit without a tie, and if you continue trying to get her mated, there is going to be confusion over her due date.
If it were me, I would advise the owners to leave it now until her next season.
This all sounds a bit hit and miss to me. Planning when your bitch has optimum days to conceive is as important as ensuring both dam and sire are fully health tested. I watch my females closely through their early seasons so that when and if I decide to breed from them I am already aware of when they tail turn and show readiness. As Raffa says, this can be anything from day 9 to day 20. And it's really not in either the stud dogs nor the bitches best interest to keep trying until it 'happens'.
I actually don't expect my maiden bitches to be snappy as I am very careful with them - as Raffa again says this is more likely because she felt intimidated because she wasn't ready. A more robust or experienced bitch may well have taken a bite or injured your stud by breaking away which is why most stud owners are so careful during matings.
If the bitch is taller they can need help to stay in a tie so it a may depend how you (both owners) are handling this situation.
If she is still flagging then you could try again but if she isn't willing then I would definitely leave it and suggest they perhaps try again next season. Or simply enjoy their dog as a pet.