Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

best curry recipe

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CRL, Aug 21, 2013.

1. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

i looking on google for curry recipes but i cant find any that i want. i like a thick curry like you get in restaurants. i dont have cream, coconut milk, ghee, curry leaves or ginger. i do have the dried spices and garlic. so i need a curry that includes the stuff i already have and will make a thick gravy

2. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

Do you have natural yoghurt?

3. chichi

chichi Banned

I just add a little cornflour mixture to my curries, which thickens them up nicely. I do use Coconut Milk too. I make more of a Korma type curry. Don't like anything too hot. When we have an Indian Takeaway, I always have Chicken Tikka Masalla but my attempts at this at home, were grim:eek:

4. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

just make it up as you go along, that's what works for me lol

5. porps

porps Swollen Member

i cant help you cos im crap at cooking but i dont half fancy a rogan josh now

6. CRL

no i dont.

i like medium curries. not keen on creamy mild curries

i did that once. notice the once :eek:

7. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

lamb balti with extra coriander, do like my curries hot too :D
    making me hungry lol

8. CRL

ooo a duck rezala. mmmmmmm

9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I have read that restaurants use onion purée to get the thick rich sauces in their dishes. Maybe this link will help?
    Home Page

10. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

bisto does a sauce thickener, it's really good,

me I like this curry here best, I know it's cheating but it's a really nice Chinese curry sauce, and I actually prefer it to the take aways one

[​IMG]

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Whenever I'm doing a curry, I blitz up a chopped onion in the blender, and also add a tin of chopped tomatoes if it's not a creamy/coconut based curry. I just vary the spices depending on what I fancy, but what I do first is something someone from India taught me, and that is to heat the spices through thoroughly first, so they're starting to cook before you start adding other stuff into the pan. You also need to use a lot more oil and salt than you might think!!

12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Yes that;s done with some whole spices - and depending on the recipe, they may be ground up after the initial dry-frying (to release the flavours).

There is also Tempering, where some spices are lightly fried in oil or ghee, and then added as a last minute thing almost like a garnish, as in an authentic Tarka Dhal.

13. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I really like the Hairy Bikers Curry book and love the Chicken Katsu Curry but if you don't want to faff about breadcrumbing the chicken the curry sauce is pretty good just with the chicken thrown in it, it the closest thing I have tasted to Chinese Takeaway Curry apart from the Wingyip Chinese Curry Paste which is amazing :drool:

14. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

I have that book too and I made the Very Good Balti Chicken out of it. It was lush!

15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Oooh now, Chinese/Japanese curry is an entirely different animal. I like the simpler lighter curry flavour, but it just doesn't compare to the depth and complexity of a Proper Indian!

Likewise, you can't compare Thai curries to either Indian or Chinese, the different range of ingredients gives them an entirely different character.

I used to LOVE hot curries, hotter the better - then I went to Thailand and stayed with a friend in Thai communities and only ate at local places, after a month I'd lost half a stone because most of it was TOO hot to eat and had to leave it (good job it was cheap).

I actually think it burned me out, I really can't do hot for hot's sake any more, and prefer a wealth of other flavours and influences with just a modicum of hot. Leave out the chillies and you still get a wonderful flavour.

Still couldn't tolerate the intense heat of the food when I went back a second time for a month, but I'd learned what to avoid by then!

By the way, a few weeks ago I made Thai sausages by myself, Sai Grok, they were wonderful! Haven't has those for years, you can only usually get gthem at Thai food festivals over here, or in Thailand itself.

16. porps

porps Swollen Member

i use this stuff:

[​IMG]

Same thing most takeaways use. (goldfish brand)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice