Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best collar for a tiny long haired dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sheryy77, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Sheryy77

Sheryy77 PetForums Newbie

We have Pomeranians. They’re both adult dogs and of course have the long double coat. They were both runts of their litters. Our little boy is 6 pounds and has a mane like a lion. The little girl tips the scales at a whopping 3 pounds and is missing a front leg. Their coats get terrible mats in them and the thin little collars they have now just disappear in all the fur. My concern is to avoid a collar that is too heavy and bulky for our little girl. The poor thing is nothing but a whisp and has to hop on the one front leg as it is, I sure don’t want to add a heavy collar to her troubles. At the same time though I’d prefer it if their collars were easier to see and work with. It’s quite the chore to put their collars on them and get them buckled with all the hair and it takes two people to accomplish the task. The plastic buckles are so small they’re difficult to handle. I’ve heard of the rolled leather collars but are they adjustable? We have a heck of a time finding collars that are small enough for these two.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Shery 23E4FB90-107B-4C55-9CD7-61752E378813.jpeg FFDFA502-845A-41A1-9B97-8A601059E6A1.jpeg

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Sheryy77 likes this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

There are quite a few firms who make bespoke collars in leather, and a good quality hand-made one may be expensive initially but should last a lifetime with proper care (oiling from time to time). I'd go for rolled leather with solid brass or stainless steel fittings (no rust), and have a tab added - like an extension that clips to the ring on the collar itself, with a D-ring on the end, to which you can attach the lead. A tab a couple of inches or so long should be easy to find in the coat.
    Or use a harness for walking.

Sheryy77, lullabydream and Sarah H like this.
  4. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I have German spitz and a Pom they wear rolled leather collars when out walking as these don't get tangled in their coats. They don't wear collars in the house. My Pom is a slightly bigger boy but my spitz girl is tiny she is smaller than my Pom but should be bigger lol she is about 4/5lb in weight they both wear a size 1 rolled leather collar which I did have to order specially for them from the pet shop. My husband does work in a pet shop so I do manage to get things ordered in for my dogs but any pet shop should be able to order them for you.

Alternatively my chihuahuas do not wear collars they walk in harnesses one has suffered from a collapsed trachea and so never wears anything round her neck. They all have their tags on their harnesses which I was told was acceptable while out walking as long as if they are allowed to run free they have their harnesses left on.

I also use the barrel tags rather than the engraved ones which I check every walk to make sure they are not coming undone as these are smaller for tiny dogs than the engraved tags.
    The photo is of my tiny girl Rumour with her bigger brother Mark who is the correct size she doesn't look tiny here but she is less than half Marks size

Attached Files:

#4 Freyja, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

My dog is a chihuahua terrier mongrel. His coat is weird - short dense undercoat and loooong guard hairs as per is typical with wirehaired dogs. But the guard hairs are sparse everywhere except down his spine and around his neck. So although he looks smooth-coated a lot of the times in photos, we have very similar situations as you with collars.

I would say that disappearing into the fur is what you want though. But you want the rolled shape, rather than flat, and this won't break the hair and cause matting in the same way.

I would never walk him on them though. Thin collars consolidate the pressure so the same amount of pressure is affecting him over a much more limited about of space. Perhaps if it was an *incredibly* controlled environment and he had excellent LLW skills. But with Cad being so small (5.5-6Kg range) even just the smallest accidental jerk can be a lot of pressure to him. I put his old flat neoprene-lined cheap Wilkos one he was rehomed with on him if I ever need a lead to his collar. It does break his coat though, and when I take it off there's always lots of crinkled hairs.

Cadvan has two rolled-shape collars.
    One is rolled calf skin leather from Petiquette : https://www.petiquettecollars.co.uk/
    The other is a macrame threaded one from Everything's A Hound: https://www.facebook.com/everythingsahound/
    EAH also do rolled natural leather, braided coloured leather, and cork in the rolled style too, but they were out of stock of those materials when I ordered.
    Both shops have excellent customer service.
    And also, very importantly, both shops use dog-size appropriate hardware for small collars for small dogs. A big problem I found with looking for rolled collars more generally was that the rolled part wouldn't be very long so there's be a looooong flat part for the buckle that was like half the length of the collar, and/or the hardware would be HUGE and heavy.

Here's Cad wearing the EAH one. It shows at the front of his neck, but at the back of his neck it sinks right down through the hair without breaking any of them (flat collars break his coat like no tomorrow). It's very soft.
    [​IMG]
    I'll see if he'll let me take a photo of the back of his neck

ETA -
    IMG_20200612_133115077_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200612_133109934.jpg

And the Petiquette one
    DSC_1867.jpg
    DSC_2092.JPG

#5 Torin., Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Sheryy77 and Happy Paws2 like this.
  6. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Oh, we do also have a buckle rolled collar that is very soft and adjustable from TopPetShop on Etsy. It's actually designed for small dogs rather than a big dog one scaled down smaller (fine for puppies of bigger breeds, but doesn't work for toy adults). Unfortunately the buckle rubbed the front of Cad's neck, where, as per his coat weirdness, his hair is thin.

Sheryy77 likes this.
  7. Sheryy77

Hi,

Thanks for your input. Harley can’t wear a harness with only one front leg. We tried that and they just twist.

Torin. likes this.
  8. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Maybe one of the much wider fabric collars would suit better? The style people have sighthound martingales made from, but not necessarily with the constriction? They tend to be an inch or two wide, which would spread the pressure out?

Sheryy77 likes this.
  9. Sheryy77

Thank you so much for your reply! I hadn’t even heard of a barrel tag, I’ll google it. I’d love to let our dogs be naked in the house but it’s so hard to put their collars on given the small size of the plastic buckle and all the hair. The vet said the collar should be tight enough that you can just fit two fingers under it. I hate this because it seems too tight and I’d hate for them to feel like they were being choked. Plus I don’t want to close the buckle with hair stuck in it so it’s being constantly pulled. I’m tempted to have the groomer cut the hair around the collar area shorter. Is there a trick to putting on collars in this situation?

10. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

DB069A67-34D1-4138-A824-765AFA380E30.png
    Maybe a jacket style harness would work? If you are on Facebook then Tiny Twiglets makes different style harnesses and she made this one.

DanWalkersmum and Sheryy77 like this.
  11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

This is one of the barrel tags I use for my little ones they have a piece of paper inside you put your details on. They are more often used for cats than dogs but you do need to check regularly that they are screwed together tightly.

If you are struggling with buckles on collars you could get one of the ones that are rolled leather part way round and chain on the other part half slip collars they are called but mine have slipped them over their heads and lost them but with a Pom it would go into the hair and shouldn't slip of so easily then you just clip the lead onto the ring when you go out.

Try and stay with the rolled leather collars as they wont tangle in her coat as much. When we got our first spitz Bear I used a normal flat collar on him as I had to order a small rolled leather collar for him and the flat collar made a mess of his coat round his neck.

I have had spitz for about 4 years but have only had a Pom for a couple of months Nova stayed with us when he was a puppy as he had a problem with men and his owner wanted to show him. He took a shine to my husband so he stayed with us for a while to see what we could do but his owner wanted him back. Recently she has had a fall and cracked her spine so she asked if we wanted to have Nova so he came to us along with a couple of spitz that will be going back to her when she is better but Nova will stay with us permanently

Attached Files:

Sheryy77 likes this.
  12. Sheryy77

Oh! I was thinking the barrel was horizontal on the collar. Adorable doggie you have there! ❤️

13. Sheryy77

Great! I’ll check out her page. Thanks!

Jobeth likes this.
  14. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

I'm a massive fan of tiny twiglets. I've got quite a few bits from Paula. She breeds and shows chihuahuas and is a really lovely lady.

We've got this for Chalky and he seems to like wearing it.

20200615_084944.jpg

20200615_085611.jpg

He doesn't wear a collar in the house but we found him a tiny one at a show that he only wears on walks as it has his tag on.

Sheryy77, caterpiller and Sarah H like this.
  15. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

She’s great and I’m not surprised she has a waiting list. I’ve bought several items from her and had a few bespoke items made that aren’t on her page as well.

Sheryy77 and caterpiller like this.
  16. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Just a concern about the barrels. I found a dog which had one - trying to unscrew it, while holding the collar and my own dog's lead was really quite hard. You need about four hands to do it. With a tag, the phone number is there to see.

17. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Long time ago at a rescue I volunteered at they didn't recommend them as yes they can be screwed tight but, if a dog was found and it was torrential rain. Taking the top it apart then handling the paper.. They can become eligible to read. Ink, wet hands, awkward to unroll.

To be honest I like identitag plastic tags for mine.. I prefer size mini to mini mini which is ridiculously tiny. They are amazingly light weight and last in my opinion. Reasonable priced for tiny dogs.

Sheryy77, JoanneF and Torin. like this.
  18. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I've never had a problem with them mine all wear them. The one in the photo was a screw one but most of mine actually wear plastic push together ones. I find with long haired dogs the disc tags get tangled in the coat mine don't go off lead unless in a safe secure area and don't wear collars in the house so only wear them to keep within the law. I also unscrew the screw ones at least once a week so they don't seize up and not able to undo them. The one in the photo was one that was lost and found amongst the gravel on my path and had been missing and replaced about a month before and it still unscrewed easily. I also find with engraved ones my dogs tend to pull at collars and tags so engraved ones become scratched and unreadable.

Everyone has their own opinions of what they thing is best and I find the barrels are best for my dogs.

Sheryy77 likes this.
  19. caterpiller

caterpiller No thoughts, head empty.

I don't know if they come in small sizes but perhaps, if a barrel tag isn't your thing, perhaps an agility tag might do? It attaches straight onto the collar without the dangley-ness and tend to be quite light!

Sheryy77, The Wild Bunch and Torin. like this.
  20. Sheryy77

Aww, so cute! I looked at her stuff and wow! Does she ever have a LOT of stuff! And so neat! I had something I needed to get done the day I looked at her page so I just quickly perused it. I knew I’d have to go back to her page when I had more time to pour over it. She’s very skilled, you can see the quality of her work.

Jobeth likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice