Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best cars for dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jess Pryce, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Jess Pryce

Jess Pryce PetForums Junior

Hi,

What cars does everyone have to transport their dogs to shows and events?
    I currently have a 3dr Grand Vitara which have the back seats taken out and a lovely flat open space for my collie. Its twice the height of her when shes in it and very spacious. There is a dog guard built in the back as well so i can leave the doors open when at a show and she safe. However my commute to work has increased so i need a smaller cheaper vehicle to run but still has loads of space in the back and tall so she can move around.
    Im finding it impossible to find something cheap to run and not a van, that has then room (not a fan of estate cars either)

(Please note, before any harsh comments, shes not in the car much. This is for when we are going to shows all day. we have just started competing at agility. Shes well exercised and never alone long, i just want to see how everyone else manages to transport their dogs with as much room as possible without having to buy a big van or 4x4.)

Below is a picture similar of what i have now. (picture taken from google, not my own)

[​IMG]

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I've only ever had 'small' hatchback cars, could not/would not want to run anything like a van or anything large due to my commuting and on-street parking.

Perhaps look at hatchbacks that are roomier in the boot; VW Golf, Skoda Fabia, Ford Focus etc.

kimthecat and Jess Pryce like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Not very sexy cars, but the Berlingo, Kangoo type vehicles might tick the boxes?

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I currently drive a Ford Galaxy, with the third row of seats down plenty of room for a bespoke car crate with divider and escape doors to transport two large dogs. With the tailgate up and locked doors it can be parked so that the dogs have plenty of ventilation and with the tailgate down using various sizes of ventlock the same ventilation can be afforded during colder weather. Similar size cars are Seat Alhambra, Volkswagen Sharan etc.

Jess Pryce likes this.
  5. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

I manage to fit a Pointer cross into a 3 door Skoda Citigo. With the back seats folded down, he actually has quite a bit of room back there.

Jess Pryce likes this.
  6. kare

kare PetForums VIP

I loved my Grand Vitara
    I have a pre 2009 Astra. It is great for two dogs.

As I come to renew next year (when it is 10 yo) I have the Cee'd and the Mazda 3 in mind as the post 2009 Astra is a different and smaller boot

If buying new then I would look at a Renault I saw

7. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Maybe a Skoda Yeti, not much help here i have a 2+2 but my dog is tiny.

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I have a Fiat Grande Punto and can fit my Grey x Saluki and his Greyhound friend in the back comfortably with the seats folded down. They are able to stand up and turn around.

Travelling alone, Jack prefers the back seat! ;)

Nice little run around car and economical, I find.

Jess Pryce likes this.
  9. FeelTheBern

Yours is an Audi TT, isn't it?

10. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

11. Jess Pryce

Jess Pryce PetForums Junior

I love my Vitara aswell! The guard in the back is band new, i got for my birthday. Moving house means i have a 50 mile round trip to work each day so its become to expensive to run. Grrrr
    Sadly not looking to buy new, far to expensive haha. Quite a few good suggestions out there though.

12. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I do the same mileage a day and have a Ford Fiesta, easily fit my GSD or Pointer in the boot so it's fine for one dog. Very economical to run, I only spend £25-30 a week on fuel.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. Tacey

Tacey PetForums Senior

I have a Honda jazz, the seats fold completely flat and there is oodles of room in there. I have my collie and galgo crated and it still only takes up half of the space. :)

14. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

15. spots

spots PetForums Senior

If I hadn't hated the drive, the skoda roomster I test drove would have fitted the bill.

I'm still looking! Same thing ... "small" car but I need to get a petite Dalmatian in the boot as I'm sick of not having a backseat available.

16. quagga

quagga PetForums Member

I also have a Fiesta - reliable, cheap to run and fits 2 cockers in the boot :)

17. Izzy95

Izzy95 PetForums Member

Have you looked at Citroen Picasso? My dad has one and I borrowed it last week and it was good, lots of room in the boot. He bought it new in 2003 and it's still going with just a few problems popping up in the past year or so, he says it's quite cheap to run

18. Mercgirl

Mercgirl PetForums Member

Yes, our Mii is the Seat version of the Citygo, and the same also as the VW UP!

Wookie has the entire rear seat to herself.

FeelTheBern likes this.
  19. FeelTheBern

Yes, they're virtually all the same car apart from some minor aesthetic details. Wookie is a fairly small dog, so I'm sure she has quite a bit of room back there!

Mercgirl likes this.
  20. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

That is really tempting! I easily go through £45 a week in petrol at the mo and am wanting to downsize next car ( which might be sooner rather than later as mine is knackered at the mo! ) but you say it fits your two separately in the boot? Is there room enough to turn around etc? Bearing in mind Cash is about 69cm to the shoulder.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice