Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best breed to get?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cat_Crazy, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Hi Everyone

I'm normally over in the cat forums but have started spending more and more time over here recently.

Me and my partner have been discussing getting a dog for a while as we both love dogs and we are very active so want to be able to take a little companion for walks with us.

I work from home so have lots of time to myself.

We want a smallish dog as we only have a small house and garden.
    Also our garden fence is not that high and next door's Retriever jumps it easily so hopefully something that is too small to jump it.

I have two children aged 7 and 5 and they are very pet friendly but still I would prefer something not too boistorous.

I also have 4 cats so a cat friendly dog is a MUST.
    I know most dogs can be trained to live with cats but I would prefer a breed that is likely to be calm and not see them as something to chase.

I don't really want a puppy and would prefer to re-home an older dog but I have been told that a puppy would be easier to train with the cats.

Is this true?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You can get rescues that are cat tested. Many will go into centres having been raised with cats.

Not sure on breeds, maybe something like a CKCS, they are very good with children and reasonably small. Also very well tempered and calm.

3. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

When I was small we had 2 dogs ( a GSD and mongrel ) that lived quite happily with 2 cats. At night they would all curl up together... it was quite sweet :) The GSD was around 5-6 months when we had her so not quite a puppy, there was already 1 cat in the house at that time, by the time we got the 2nd cat (kitten) both dogs were full grown.

I don't remember doing anything special to help them get used to each other.

4. Savahl

Savahl Guest

If you register your interest with local rescues they should pair you with a suitable dog :) any good rescue will assess dogs to see if they are cat/small furry friendly, and wouldnt give you a dog thats unsuitable to be around children.

Well done for considering a rescue! :cool:

5. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I have expressed my interest with all local rescue's but it seems these days that cat and child friendly dogs are few and far between :(

I will keep trying however.

I would prefer an elderly dog if I can find one as they are often much harder to find homes for and are generally quite calm but a lot of rescue's will not re-home elderly dogs with children so that rules that out.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You could try here...Oldies Club

7. rona

rona Guest

You are one special person, to be willing to take on an older dog.
    If you decide on the breed you would like and then go through the relevant breed rescue, as these will have more of a history of the dog in question and can match you up with a cat and child friendly dog
    This is the Cocker Spaniel rescue site, just to give you an idea
    CSC/Rescue Representatives

8. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

PM me i will tell u about the alaskan klee kai they are an amazing breed.....

9. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

im sure other members would be interested too :confused:

10. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Well all the older dogs seem to be not suitable for some reason or another :(

Apparantly not a lot of small dogs end up in rescue although I don't see why it would be any different to large dogs?

My partner has decided they have fallen in love with the King Charles and the Pug.

I am leaning more towards the King Charles.
    Mainly because Pug's are sooo expensive!

Anyone have any experiance with either of these breeds?

Would you recomend them for a first time owner?

11. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Shame you only want a small dog, otherwise i'd of suggested a greyhound. I'm sure you'll be able to find a rescue dog that will be suitable for your needs, might take a little while to find the right one and looking at rescues which home nationally rather than just your local ones.

I know greyhound groups cat test and those that pass with a bit of introduction training in the home can happily live with cats, even dogs that raced. So i'm sure that you don't have to go down the puppy route for a dog to live with cats.

12. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Do you mean a King Charles or a Cavalier king charles because they are two different breeds? Think King Charles are quite rare actually you don't see many of them. If you go for a Cavalier make sure you get one from a good breeder that does health testing especially heart testing as they do tend to be a breed that suffers from heart problems.:(

Bichons are great dogs with children.;)

13. kelseye

kelseye Banned

i love rotties they are so loving:)

14. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

How about a miniature schnauzer?

They are great with kids, get about the same size as a cocker, they dont moult but need to be groomed regularly.

They are easy to train, eager to learn and great for the first time owner.

Here is our Bella last week... 10 weeks old...

[​IMG]

:)

15. lemmsy

lemmsy PetForums VIP

Hi,
    I think if I were in your position I'd definately get a rescue rather than pup.

I would suggest you check out this site.
    Dog Rescue Pages - UK dog rescue homes, centres and shelters guide

or http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php

The forum is a collection of doglovers and loads of rescues that rehome dogs throughout the country, so long as the potential new home is willing to go and meet the dog etc...

They frequently have dogs that are cat tested and good with children.

My advise to you would be to not set your heart on one particular breed as you may well end up with a lovely cross or completely different breed that fulfills your criteria.
    I would suggest you get 5 or 6 foot fencing in some of your garden because even little dogs can jump very high and most rescues see it as a responsible precaution that owners should take.
    Best of luck and let us know how you get on :)

16. cav

cav PetForums VIP

There are plenty cavaliers in rescue:)

Well done for thinking about getting a older dog:)

17. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I always thought that Greyhounds would need a LOT of excercise and whilst I am quite happy to provide lots of regular walks I think a Greyhound may be a little too much.

18. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I love Rottie's also but my house is no where near big enough for one sadly.

19. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

What a beautiful little pup!

I will have a look into this breed.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice