Best age?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by petl0v3r, Feb 5, 2018.

1. petl0v3r

petl0v3r PetForums Member

What do you think the best age to castrate a male dog is?

I was thinking 6 months but Im not sure if this is too soon?

Castration is a must.. living with a already castrated male and a spayed female

Thank you, look forward to suggestions

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I believe six months is too early.

It is far better that the dog is allowed to mature, physically and mentally, and the physical aspect is more important in a large breed.

3. petl0v3r

Yeah I was thinking that, especially with him being a GSD x Husky

4. paulareno

paulareno PetForums Member

ask a vet for advice. we have a boxer downstairs and for health reasons he wont be neutered till 2yo

5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums Member

Please don't have this done at 6 months. It is far too early. I had my male neutered at 6 months and then discovered he had hip dysplasia when he was 8 months. I really regret getting him castrated so young.
    I now know that it is important to let the skeleton finish growing and for the dog to reach skeletal maturity first. The growth plates don't close on time in neutered males and you end up with a taller dog.

6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums Member

Ps i am not trying to suggest my dog's bad hips were caused by neutering - they weren't. But the fact that early castration affects the skeleton could be one of many factors involved in his current symptoms. Early neutering certainly will not have helped his situation.

7. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

The rule of thumb for larger breeds tends to be about 18 months - or at least past a year old if you can - as hormones aid bone growth and physical maturity, and giving our dogs a chance to take full advantage of this lessens the chance of joint disorders in later life.

J

8. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

If his a large breed, I'd 18 months so he has time to mature before having him done, if you must.

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would say 18 months but the majority of vets say 6 months so it is up to you really.

10. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

We had Oscar done at 6 months, at the same time Poppy was done as it’s best for bitches, reducing the chance of mammary cancer down to as close to zero as possible. Our Vet advised us to have them both done as two post op puppies would be easier than dealing with one who wanted to rest while the other was being a loon.

However ...... Oscar’s always been a needy wee soul, frightened of his own shadow. I do wonder if neutering him so early wasn’t the best idea.

I think if I had a single boy pup again, I’d wait.

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I was planning to neuter my boy at 18 months, which I think is a good age as they have generally finished developing. As it turned out I had no real reason to neuter him so he’s still entire.

BlackadderUK likes this.
  12. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums Senior

Does anyone have experience of already having one neutered male and then bringing an unneutered pup into the family? Would it cause fights between them? Is the unneutered dog likely to want to take over as 'top dog' if he remained entire? Even if the neutered dog was a good few years older? If the younger un neutered male was a smaller breed, would the growth plates closing properly still be an issue? (as heard small dogs matured by 6 months old anyway)

Sorry for all the questions, thought I'd ask as the topic was up and SIL(married to eldest bro) is wanting to get a small (or toy) breed male and they already have one neutered (medium) rescue male. Thanks

13. petl0v3r

M
    My neutered 5 year old male, puts the puppy into place all of the time, he is still the one in charge

14. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I hope that's a joke comment...

Although I would maybe allow the odd telling off to maybe slip by if not watching them..I would expect any owners in multidog household to step in and try and prevent and any telling offs between dogs, puppy's do not remain puppys forever and dogs and puppies should always know that owners have their backs and these situations should not arise...telling off in dogs can escalate once maturity confidence and testosterone hits the fan.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Lurcherlad like this.
  15. petl0v3r

No.. i do not let it escalate of course.. what is it with you people and your over reactions, ok so next time my puppy is biting my older dogs tale.. i will tell my older dog off for snapping at him.. based off of your comment, thank you

16. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

No it really isn't that straight forward - it really isn't about hormones so much as about personality - and those of us with multi dog households tend to impose how things are run from the start rather than leave dogs to decide things for themselves. Is there a heirachy amongst my six dogs - yes, maybe a fluid one but not so you'd notice. In my experience, the only time hormones come into play is with two un neutered/un spayed dogs of the same sex who may feel the need to dispute over any available members of the opposite sex.

As an owner I tend to see it as my job to intervene and redirect a puppies behaviour before my older dogs feel the need (are annoyed enough) to take things into their own hands. (Which is what Lullabydream has posted). Teaching (allowing) older dogs to 'correct' a puppy (or take advantage and show status) can have consequences when that puppy becomes an adult and decides that they can now answer back -and a fight ensues.

J

Torin. and lullabydream like this.
  17. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums Senior

Thanks for answering, Yes I know two dogs of same sex could get on if one was submissive and happy to let the other one (that wanted to stay top dog) be boss, providing they weren't allowed to be too bossy with the younger/smaller one. Most people I know with more than one dog have them both neutered though. I wasn't sure of the effects of leaving a young male un neutered if there was an existing neutered male in the house and whether it would cause problems when they hit their 'terrible teens'

I know in some breeds the males can display 'same sex aggression' so assumed this was something that would show itself once the adolescent hormones kicked in too? which breeds have a particular reputation for this among the small/toy group?

18. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Member

I have owned entire males of the same breed without problems. In each case a puppy was introduced to an adult male. As has been said so much depends on the individuals involved and the way interactions are managed.