Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best age for weaning?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by dogkrazy, Aug 23, 2013.

1. dogkrazy

dogkrazy PetForums Senior

Hello everyone :)

Amber's puppies are now 3.5 weeks old & I am starting to think about weaning. Amber still feeds them lots & they are gaining weight nicely. What age in your opinion is the best to start weaning? They are going to be fed on the Raw Diet just like Mum.

Here is a pic of the six little pups!

[​IMG]

#1 dogkrazy, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

i ddoubt i'm going to be much help- never weaned to raw before! mine (YT) usually start at 4-5 weeks with a bowl of puppy milk mixed with baby rice, then on to mush- i'll be using the same process next time, only introducing raw mince rather than mushed kibble to them once they get the hang of solids...

they're absolutely adorable... you're making me puppy broody!!!! :mad::

3. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

4. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

5. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

Mine were four weeks to the day and not interested in any kind of puppy mush...mum was raw fed. That night, she had her tea and trotted off followed by the pups who jumped at her mouth and up came her tea and each pup ran off with a lump of tripe! And that was that LOL....she carried on throwing up for my keeper till he was four months old :eek:

6. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

I liked the raw but I am a wud at giving my chicken wings so young. I feed mine a good biscuit and then chicken beef and tripe in the mince form. Also loads of big bones. I would love to feed all raw but I panick that I'm getting everything I need for a big dog. As a treat I give heart etc. I think my puppies will be ready for weaning next week lol! They are ravenous all the time! What would be too early for a large breed x

7. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I used Natural Instinct weaning paste with my last litter from about 3 weeks. They loved it and did really well on it.

8. Hopeattheendofthetunnel

Hopeattheendofthetunnel PetForums VIP

Utterly clueless about the optimal weaning age....I just had a virtual smooch with the pups. Very cute.

However, as a longtime BMD owner I know there is a Bernese specific breeders list for new BMD breeders. Which might be worth exploring?

New-BMD-Breeders : Novice BMD Breeders

Alternatively, there is another Bernese yahoogroup , known as the berner-l, who also has a large number of experienced breeders from all over the world as members.

Berner-l : The Bernese Mountain Dog Group

One quick warning, though: the latter group is an immense source of combined knowledge on all aspects of Berners. Feeding, grooming, raising, health issues, breed issues, breeding issues, you name it. BUT...some of the members can come across as sanctimonious and holier-than-though. They mean well and are inherently a very helpful bunch, but you got to filter the "what? You bred your dog? Did she win Crufts?!" nonsense and just politely stand your ground.

Lastly, there is a great BMD breeder who has got a fabulous blog. And she has just finished raising her last litter. Which she chronicled day-by-day in her blog. If you have the time have a look at
    Kaibab BMD | The less hairy home of Kaibab Bernese Mountain Dogs

(that link will bring you to when the pups were 3 weeks old).

If memory serves, the pups weren't started on solids until they were 5 or 6 weeks old. And continued to feed from mum until they were 8 weeks.

HTH

9. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I start weaning at 2.5 weeks, with either mince or a very high quality kibble soaked in hot water.

10. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

I was thinking about orijen puppy really soaked and mashed up and then mince, im form of beef, chicken and tripe. missing the milky mush stage as the lady suggest in the raw diary. What do you reacon x also what's your opinions on fish x

11. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Sounds great! Fish is good too! :)

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I've always started to wean the whippet pups at about 2.5 weeks by them they are usually trying mums food anyway. With Daisy I left it until she was about 4 weeks and happily made up a tiny amount of puppy gruel only to find her happily tucking into mum's food so we never bothered with puppy gruel it was staright onto the same as mum.

13. dogkrazy

dogkrazy PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone for all your advice :)

The puppies are now 4 weeks old so I decided to see if they were interested in food, and boy they ADORED their first meal!!! They are still getting feeds from Mum but I am giving them chicken mince twice a day too.

Thanks again ;)

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice