UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just lately he's started growling when he's in the garden:eek:

Im on my own here now and he's under the stairs growling really low, just staring upwards:eek::eek::eek:

Flippin eck, Ive locked all the doors:eek::eek:

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Foxes?? Birds?
I once met a friend for a walk very early and I couldn't see much and when we got to the car park and Terence just stared and barked at something in the woods. I didn't get out of the car and locked all the doors until my friend arrived with her 2 very large Rottweilers. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
29,636 Posts
Mine always find something to bark/growl at if I'm here on my own, I usually go & hide under my quilt in bed:eek:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just lately he's started growling when he's in the garden:eek:

Im on my own here now and he's under the stairs growling really low, just staring upwards:eek::eek::eek:

Flippin eck, Ive locked all the doors:eek::eek:
my dog does this, and our house is quite creaky so i listen out / spook myself more thinking i can hear foot steps.
we looked after my mums gerbil while she was away and i was convinced someone was downstairs ripping up / going through our paper work. it was the gerbil eating a toilet roll tube. you can hear everything in this house, even the dog was going loopy! I certainly wasnt going to investigate and my OH was a baby about it too! :blushing:

·
Registered
490 Posts
It doesn't bother me when I'm in the house it's when we're walking down the bridal path with bushes on each side and the dogs start staring into the bushes, there's a stream that runs along it so sometimes I think I can hear something in the bushes lol, that's usually when we speed up the pace ha

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Bradley's been doing the same thing, ran out in the garden and started barking, then he ran inside and barked again for no reason.
All was calm and quiet and then him and Pip started.

I keep remembering when my young niece said she'd seen our dogs, Tessa and Robbie, playing in my room.......Tessa and Robbie who have been dead for many, many years.
:scared:

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Don't worry mine do it too when everyone's gone to bed and the house is quiet. I think it's wood expanding just a little that we wouldn't hear but the dogs have such sensitive hearing that they act on it. As the house cools from the day or the heating goes off/on the wood expands or shrinks and creaks.

I'm sure that's just what it is. I agree with Retri, the Mals are terrors at stopping and looking behind as though someone's there :eek: I only street walk so not bothered about people but I am totally paranoid about other dogs and I always think a massive bull terrier is on it's way to greet us. :scared: Funny how the mind can scare you half to death, lol! :eek6:

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol I cant imagine Bertie being scary :)

Do you know what he is growling at? :confused:
No idea what it was, OH still isnt home and the door is well and truly locked:eek:

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Oscar has wierd nights sometimes. I think it is just their incredible noses picking up on foxes in the area ;)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
he hasn't been spooked by a firework at some point has he? one of my dogs used come in and stare at the ceiling barking and growling if he could here them in the distance
This is a good thought - it is firework time starting and he's new to you so you don't know his history regards fireworks?? He could have heard one in the distance and upset himself!

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
haha they know how to frighten us! I used to live in a house with 'spooky' goings on, and my old mongrel used to spend a lot of time at the bottom of the stairs, he was fixated on something and used to 'uff' and growl, I did NOT like it one bit - especially since the staircase/upstairs landing was the centre of most of the 'happenings' and I always felt as though someone was stood at the top watching down, so it didn't help when Buster started with those antics!

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I'd agree with their very sensitive hearing theory.. just because we can't hear anything doesn't mean that they cant.

When I go into town, OH knows exactly when I'm almost home as Horace barks, yelps and gets excitied and runs downstairs to get to the window. OH looks out and sees me turning into the street.. Horace somehow must hear me when i'm in the next street! How exactly he can differentiate between our caar and all the others we can't figure out!
I come back at different times so it's not the time that he's learnt..

Tis weird.. perhaps he is pyschic... :D

G

·
Might be a mouse or rat, or a snake looking for a winter warm spot. If it is a snake, it won't disturb you or stalk you, but it might eat the mice/rats

·
Registered
703 Posts
My last dog once acted very strangely on a walk to the field He'd been to many times. I'd come off the field with him was walking home and he started pulling back and going giddy this continued all the way home. I couldn't see anything. Once home he looked out the window still giddy.

Another strange thing that happened A rainbow appeared on a wall in my house we took photos and people said they could see my dog Sam in them (we still had Max at the time) Normally I can't ever see these pictures that look like things but I could see the dog.

Dogs are supposed to be able to see spirits and stuff and I've had quite a few times where dogs seem to of seen something I can't. I'd say 3 of 5 dogs have seen things I haven't 1 that I wouldn't expect as she never noticed things that was near her. This dog only did anything odd once she ducked as if someone was about to hit her which we had never done. Theres still time for my current dog to sense things as he's only 10 week old. Having lost 4 dogs there is chance he mite sense something at some point only 1 died in our house.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.