Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bernedoodle Puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Vicky Duggan, May 24, 2020 at 12:24 AM.

1. Vicky Duggan

Vicky Duggan PetForums Newbie

Hi, we are looking to buy a Bernedoodle puppy in the UK but are really struggling to find any!?
    Is anybody about to point us in the right direction?
    Thanks

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

adamantis, Torin., StormyThai and 6 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you want a mongrel, I suggest looking in rescue where there will be lots waiting for a new home (especially after Lockdown when reality kicks in) :(

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

What a dreadful cross - sorry but what on earth is the coat going to end up like and their temperaments are so different you would have no idea what sort of dog you would end up with. I really hope there are not too many people crossing those breeds.

5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

You will struggle to find anyone apart from BYBs & puppy farms breeding at the moment, add to that the fact that no one, anywhere, would be breeding this cross responsibly anyway.

What has attracted you to this mix of 2 very different dogs?

Lurcherlad and Calvine like this.
  6. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

I met a poodle crossed with a newfoundland in my local pet shop last year it was a lovely friendly dog but the owner said it had a problem with its back legs hips I think and would require an operation in the future. It seemed a strange mix to me I must admit.

Lurcherlad and Calvine like this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Why would you want this cross? If you like Bernies then get one. If you like poodles then get one. Standard poodles are quite large and you can leave them in a shaggy pet clip rather than a show clip, and they look great. I dread to think of the disaster of a coat this cross might have! I also have met a newfy x poodle and it just looked like a generic poodle cross, just a bit thicker set. Didn't appeal at all.

Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  8. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I had a friend who bred Bernese and I have to say that, despite the best efforts of responsible breeders, they really must be one of the unhealthiest of breeds. And a very short life-span compared to a lot of other dogs; I don’t know if this is a ‘giant breed’ thing or not.

So if the good breeders can’t get it right, what hope for somebody who thinks it’s ok to cross it with something as diametrically opposite as a poodle??

Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  9. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

Bernese are not the healthiest or long lived breeds, they would probably benefit from a good outcross programme. As shown with the Boxer/Corgi crosses you can get type back within a few generations.

I wouldn't want one, but why would the coats of crossing the breed with Poodle be harder to maintain than Labradoodles or Cockapoos?

10. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

boxer/corgi crosses ?
    what for
    and
    what type would one want to get back to with this crossbreed

lorilu likes this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Some labradoodle coats are a nightmare but labs have short coats, Bernese have extremely thick longer coats so the combination with the poodle would be far more extreme than the worst of the other poodle cross coats.

I dont understand why a boxer and corgi would be crossed to improve either breed. Short legged , long backed, squashed faces - what would be the advantages.

lorilu, O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

The Op hasn’t returned since 10 minutes past original post so I doubt they’ll pick up any of the forum wisdom to ponder .... ;)

13. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

The mix was used to introduce the bobtail gene from corgis, as after the docking ban people still wanted the look. I don't know the logic behind such morphologically different breeds or why someone would do it just for the sake of aesthetics, but I suppose it could be due to injury risks in the rambunctious boxer's constantly whipping tail? Personally I don't see a reason for outcrossing except for introducing genetic diversity or for health reasons (like the LUA dallies).

Blitz, Torin. and O2.0 like this.
  14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

How did it do that without shortening the legs and lengthening the backs. I have seen a bobtail boxer but did not realise that is where it came from. It worked very quickly as I saw one some years ago and docking has not been banned all that long in the scheme of things.

15. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Boxers have always been born bob or long, like OES, so I don't get the point
    But then
    This is why I don't breed

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I guessed that was the case. I am still lost on how a corgi could do anything but wreck a boxer.

mrs phas and O2.0 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice