Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Benson!!

Discussion in 'Horse Photo Galleries' started by Gert_89, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

My Benson..... 1yr 4 months, gypsy cob :) Bless him :)

Attached Files:

2. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Aww he's lovely! He's going to be a nice heavy weight boy. What are you planning to do with him?

3. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the piccy!
    When are you going to break him? have you had a saddle on him yet?
    DT

4. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

HI to both of you. Im not 100% sure what i want to do with him yet... i know alot have people have said he would make a great cart horse :) Hes so laid back, when i brought a youngster i thought i was really going to have my hands full. Then again theres many years to go through yet. I havent done anything with him, beside going out on walks round the roads and over the chase with him and getting him used to me waving objects round him and touching him all over. Thats one of the reason i came on here... hes my first youngster, ive had young horses but not babys that dont know anything :) i put my moms horses saddler over him and he stud completely still (didnt do the girth up) also the bridle but i was worried about putting a normal snaffle in his mouth as he is only young? (1year 4 months) Can any of you give me a rough i dea of ages and whtat to do with him. Ive re books that all say not to start lunging til hes 2???? is this right??? THANX KIRSTY xxx :eek:

5. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

Please do not start lunging him at 2, there joints are still forming and to be made to go round in a circled is quite damaging. by all means lunge rein, less stress on his growth but training all the same, especially if you =r gonna break him to drive.
    Also I wouldnt put a bit in his mouth just yet, his mouth will be very sensitive. When the time comes to do this make sure the bit you put in his mouth is not too small. (a little trick is to put a bit of honey on the bit, then they always have a nice memory with the bit)

You will always get differing opinions on rearing and breaking yearlings upwards, but that is my opinion (not saying I am right)

Welcome to the forum and your lad is beautiful, my youngster is a right handful, she's only 2 months lol. :)

6. celicababe1986

what you are doing is very good, de-sensitizing will lead to a nice bomb proof horse. Get him used to water, traffic, other animals such as dogs. Why not practice a bit of in-hand with him, gives you both something to do. and it brushes up concentration, manners and respect.;)

7. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

Thanks very much for letting me know that!! I DONT WANT TO RUIN HIM!! Benson is a dope on a rope at the minute but im sure hell liven up!! :) Thanx again Kirsty xx

8. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

I will definatly do inhand with him!!!! hes fine with water and trafic but still abit weary of my dogs lol!! Im glad im doing the right things Thanx kirsty xxx

9. celicababe1986

I had to learn about youngsters pretty quick, I brought a mare for my daughter who turned out to be in foal. So I have spoken to so many trainers about what to do. My foal is 2 months at the moment, and we are learning to lead and tie. She is getting on really well, really quick learner. She even gives her feet to the farrier whan mum has a trim lol. She is not to keen on water atm, but she is so young I dont want to push her in to anything, just allowing her time to play and grow :p

How is Benson with trailers and boxes? He is lovely looking, how big do you reckon he will get?

10. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

Hes been on boxes perfect (just makes alot of noise to the other horses) he had to go to the vets at the start of the year as he had an umbilical hernia that had to be sewn up!!!! (Bless him) Not been on a trailer as i dont have one and no one i no does but i might hire one for the day when we go to the local show!! Hes about 14.1 maybe 14.2 at themin. Hes mother was 15hh and father 15.2 so im hoping hell hit 15hh. Ive been told they usually take their mothers height. What breed and colours are you foal and mare (just being nosy :eek:)

11. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Yourgifts Ourgifts PetForums VIP

12. celicababe1986

Tink, my mare, is a 12.2hh buckskin roan welsh section b. The sire is a coloured gypsy cob, stood at 15.2hh at the time of covering. he was 2 years old. (I found all this out through research). The filly was born lemon and white , her coat is now changing, the lemon bits are turning mums colour. She is 2 and a half months, and she is already standing at 12hh!! I think she may grow bigger than mum :rolleyes:

Here are some pics the day she was born....i will get some recent ones on here soon because she has changed soooo much!! lol

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2740/241/107/764198581/n764198581_2512201_3711588.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...1_84506126227_725471227_2450902_1503421_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...1_84506111227_725471227_2450900_1572420_n.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice