Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bengals!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by maadmaan10, Apr 11, 2011.

1. maadmaan10

maadmaan10 PetForums Newbie

I'm hoping that someone can give my wife and I some advice regarding Bengals:

in our family of 6 cats we have 2 pure Bengals. A female about 18 months old and a male about 1yr old. Both have been "done" and both are chipped.
    Now even though the Bengals can be quite hard work sometimes and NEVER stop eating, we love 'em to bits but we are having a problem with those two.

From the day we brought the male home (SCRABBLE), they both got on fantastic and she (TINSEL) was like a little mummy too. But recently she doesn't want to "play" as much as he does. Also as he is getting bigger and stronger(very) I think he may just be getting a bit too much for her as she is quite a small Bengal. So Tinsel has taken to disappearing for a few days at a time and when she comes back she is VERY VOCAL, but runs away from Scrabble who instantly wants to "play".

She then acts very nervous for a day or so before settling down like normal.. We are worried that Tinsel is going to go for good - and we do not want to lose either of them.

They both seem to get on well with the others now (took a few months!)

ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME,PLEASE!
    Thanks Phil & Bid

#1 maadmaan10, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Boys are Alot bigger than the girls, bengals contary to popular belief are fairly slender cats, all my girls have been very slender, the boys have been lumps! Like all breeds (humans) haha :001_smile:

However I dont know anyone who lets their pedigree bengals outside due to the fact they dont have any road sense (about 80% of the people I have sold bengals to had their previous die on the road) and they are very dominant over other cats.

Girls tend to to be 'ill come to you and let you know whern I want to do stuff' while boy sare always ready!

However with 6 cats, Im surprised that your bengals are happy! they dont tend to like other cats, and prefer being with just their humans, if they arent related she might just be getting fed up and taking off...

3. tellingtails

tellingtails PetForums VIP

I have to agree with Taylorbaby,

The problem has arised because you have let her out, Bengals are one of the most territorial Cats.

In allowing your Girl out you are allowing her to revert back to her natural instincts of her ancestary. The Asian Leopard Cats have a life of solitude, and will wander their territory for days before returning back to a watering hole or favourite tree branch.

Intially the Male would have been happy to allow your Girl to take the lead and mother him etc, However as he got older he would have challenged her for the right to be the dominant, if they were fully indoor Cats they would have had a little disagreement and then one of them would have backed down and submitted to the other in acknowledgement to the others dominance, and they would have continued to get along.

However by allowing your Girl out you have prevented the natural balance, because she does not have to accept his dominance, she can simply walk away, and say you can have your territory, I will find my own or new territory.

Having a Cat spayed does prevent Preganancy but it does not stop them feeling insecurity, or acting on instinctual feelings, and a Cat like a Bengal has to feel secure in its territory or a whole host of behaviour problems can occur, Your breeder or the person you bought the Bengals off should have explained this to you, it is a fundamental characteristic of the Bengal breed they need distinct boundaries and parameters.

4. maadmaan10

maadmaan10 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for those comments - will ponder! The breeder did tell us a bit about them but not in detail. We had Securacat netting installed to keep them in the garden originally,which is quite big.But it proved impossible to keep those two in-especially Tinsel, the girl.:mad:
    The other cats were completely stumped by the nets :lol: but I think the only way to keep the Bengals in would have been steel mesh about 12 ft tall!!

What you have said is making sense though so will have to see if we can come up with an answer for that.
    Saying that though, the male Bengal is now starting to dominate the other cats - this evening he even chasd Fitz (1/2 bengal and HUGE) and there have been proper fights today with fur flying. I had to resort to picking him up by the scruff.I know it doesn't hurt them but it does make him submissive for a few minutes -I still don't like doing it though. The hardest bit is getting hold of the little rat bag!This is very upsetting for all of us....

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

:eek: TT I'm a bit shocked ... I thought you insisted that they do not have any of their natural (ALC) traits left after a few generations? :confused: Yet here you're saying out and out that they do!

OP, have you tried Feliway at all? Or maybe Felifriend is more relevant to your situation!

6. tellingtails

tellingtails PetForums VIP

I had a conversation with you with regards to aggression where you said it was their natural instinct from being a wild Cat, I said then that their natural instinct would be to be reclusive and shy away from confrontation if they were to revert back to their natural instinct.

Any Cat regardless of Ancestary can cease to become a Pride Cat and choose a life of solitude, we see it everyday in abandoned Cats that become semi-ferral. Its impossible to remove all a Cats natural instincts hence how despite never leaving a home they still know how to hunt and Pounce on a bird or a Mouse.Otherwise they would cease to have a personality and the traits we fall in love with and become a cuddly toy.

Are intial conversation was when you were trying to insist that a Bengal had flawed temperament, a point we will never agree on seeing how you have never owned a Bengal and are basing your views on a few hear says from people you know or articles you have read, combined with a few instances you have experienced with them outside their normal confines i.e at Shows.

My experience with Bengals working with them everyday is always going to be a far different one to yours, I have repeatly invited you up to meet myself and my wife and of course our Cats to help you understand this fantastic breed a little better so you can make a more informed decision on the Bengals temperament, hopefully one day you will take me up on my offer.

#6 tellingtails, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice