Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bengals can't get lukemia?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Gem16, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Is that true? just a random thing i heard and wondered why it was :p
    Apparently their being studied in cancer research units because of this, for people or animals i am not sure :confused:

2. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

I would have Thought any cat could get that disease. But then Iam no Expert. just my 2c :eek: would like to know tho

3. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

bengals were originally bred to be resistant/immune... as the asian leopard cat *is* immune. Bengals are originally hybrids of the domestic cat and the asian leopard cat.

now... not *all* bengals are resistant/immune, as with all hybrids not all of them got that trait and even those that did... developed health issues unique to the breed. a well bred bengal from good, healthy lines and careful crosses between families can be a stunning, robust cat that is indeed resistant to feline leukaemia (not truly immune as far as I'm aware)

however poorly bred/inbred ones can actually be *more* susceptible to feline leukaemia or digestive problems/food intolerences

or at least that is the info we get taught in my genetics class - the bengal is a fairly standard example of hybridising to try erradicate a disease

4. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

That is really interesting thanks :) Just heard it when i switched over to a cat documentary but didn't get the whole story, just how their being studied because of the lukemia thing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice