Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

bengal vomit after had Applaws dry kitten food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by pepperbengal, Apr 6, 2011.

1. pepperbengal

pepperbengal PetForums Newbie

I have an 11 months bengal boy, very healthy, the breeder was feeding him Royal Canin kitten dry, I fed him ORIJEN dry, and other brands of wet food,sometimes raw meat because he loves it. never had any problem. only tried Applaws dry kitten food because it looks so good on paper. feed him Applaws for a week or so, the poor thing was vomiting clear water along with some undigested food every singal day for four days, he never been so quiet before, just stayed on my bed. I took him off this food for two days he stopped vomit, I put him back on it just to be sure he wasn't sick for other reasons, he got sick again on the same day. His stomach still make strange noise. Has anyone else experienced same problem, or it's just my cat? will take him to the vet on Friday if his stomach still make that noise. Will never feed my cat any Applaws product again, so disappointed. If there is any chance this product could cause health issue, shouldn't they print a warning on the package?

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Not used Applaws.

From what you say, it sounds as if he could be allergic to it particularly if he's regurgitating soon after eating! If it's gurgling noises then this could be stomach acid owing to an empty stomach.

Of course it could also just be the batch you're feeding him as well. Have you tried it with your other cats ( if any! )?

3. katesaun80

katesaun80 PetForums Newbie

bengals have sensitive tums and my 2 were ill on it, I feed them bozita now fromzooplus, i was told it was good by the people on the bengal forum :)

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum! A couple of things re your problem.

Cats can react to any food from any brand - sometimes for no obvious reasons. So, there are plenty of cats on here who are thriving on Applaws and then there are cats like yours who don't get on with it. Similarly, there are plenty of cats on here who get on well with Orijen, and others who don't. There are plenty of people on here who feed Bozita without any issue and then there are those whose cats get the most smelly wind or diarrhoea. That applies pretty much to any food - wet and dry. So, that is just life with cats I'm afraid.

And if you think that they should carry a warning that it might make their cat sick, well then any brand needs to carry it.

Having said that, I don't quite understand why you fed it for such a long time when your cat got sick and it was the only thing that had changed in the diet. And also, for the record, I would starve a cat for up to 1 day (a kitten for 1/2 day) and then feed him/her plain boiled chicken to settle the stomach, but I would never starve a cat - let alone a kitten - for 2 days.

Just like Ianthi I would bet that those stomach noises were stomach acid from dealing with a food that didn't sit well as well as from an empty stomach. It should just disappear when you feed him the food he normally has.

So, simple remedy seems to be to leave Applaws dry out of your cat's food plan, particularly since he seems to get on ok with Orijen and Orijen are also 80% meat now.

PS: On paper, Orijen is better than Applaws.

5. pepperbengal

pepperbengal PetForums Newbie

this is my first cat, I honestly did not think it was the food causing the problem, he loves to try different brands and types of food, and never had any problem. that product looks so good on paper as well. will feed him some chicken. thanks for the replys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice