Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bengal Kitten Littering Outside.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Adam92, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:16 AM.

1. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Newbie

Hello guys,

I've got a 6month old Bengal Kitten (Oslo)

When I first got him at 12weeks he was very good at going to the litter tray by himself without having any accidents whatsoever.

For the past month or so since we've let him explore and roam our garden and set up his little play area outside he's stopped going to his usual litter tray which is in his bedroom (litter type hasn't changed) and his been spoiling me and my girlfriends plants and doing his business in the compost and mud.

Is this him acting out or is it something else? Any and all help welcome!!!

Adam.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Adam92 - evidently Oslo likes the idea of toiletting in the garden, as many cats prefer to do, given the chance, instead of using a litter tray. :)

It would be best to make him a latrine area in a quiet corner of the garden. Turn over the soil so it is nice and soft, and easy for him to dig a hole and bury his deposits. The latrine needs to be about 2 ft square minimum.

You will need to keep digging over the soil in his latrine every couple of days including in winter. And you should remove the poos from the soil, bag them and bin them. If you leave them in the soil they will take at least 6 months to break down and soon the latrine will be "full up" with poos and Oslo will stop using it and look elsewhere for a clean spot.

So treat his latrine like you would a litter tray and scoop regularly. :)

Also keep his indoor litter trays too. There may be times he would rather use those than go to his outdoor latrine. e.g. if it is wet or cold outside.

3. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Newbie

Is there any way I can stop him from going outside and doing it and bringing him back inside cos now whenever he needs to go toilet he'll just run to the garden door and sit before someone opens the door and let's him out rather than go use his litter.

How would I go about building this latrine area? Any suggestions. Also what litter do I use in this latrine area or is it just compost?

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Just use garden soil. Choose an area, clear it of plants, weeds, and stones. Dig it over. If you want to you can put a border around it, but it is not necessary. Your cat will naturally be attracted to the dug-over area. Remove the poos and bin them every few days.

Do you mean he wants to go out in the garden at night when you want him shut indoors? You will have to refuse him. If he wants to go out in the daytime why not just let him, once you have dug a latrine for him?

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

6. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Newbie

7. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Newbie

Yes he'll wail and cry at silly times wanting to go outside and if I don't let him he gets very aggressive biting my feet, hands etc.

I've tried to add some soil to his litter he's been and used it but I can sense his still frustrated at the lack of roaming space and he has a pretty large litter box!

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

He needs more than one box. Cats like to pee and poo in different places.The size of the box is not so important. Just normal medium to large litter boxes are fine. But he needs at least 2 boxes, perhaps 3, and they should be a distance apart from each other, not grouped together.

Ensure he has a fine granular clumping litter in his boxes, e.g. Cats Best Oko Plus or Super Benek. Clumping litters are more hygienic than non-clumping.

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You have replies in both threads. Maybe admin can amalgamate the two threads.

10. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Newbie

Thank you. I've got a 3 floor house so may need to explore getting more litter trays. I'll look into clumping litter. Thank you very much. I just think he's a fan of soil now to be honest.

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Cats are very adaptable, it is the secret of their huge success as a species.

My cats all use litter trays with clumping litter in when they are shut indoors. And they use plain ordinary soil when they toilet outdoors in my garden. Never been a problem.

If you make his indoor toilets attractive to him with the right number of trays and a cat friendly clumping litter, he should be OK.

Adam92 likes this.
  12. Adam92

Adam92 PetForums Newbie

I'm gonna look into creating his a small latrine area in my garden. Problem is where I'm living it's very poor weather and I don't fancy him going out in garden to go toilet.

I am constantly cleaning and attempting to make his litter area more attractive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice