Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bengal cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Stacey g russell, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Stacey g russell

Stacey g russell PetForums Newbie

Hey guys I'm new here and just have a question so here goes and no judging please

I have a Bengal cat that had 5 kittens 6 weeks and 4 days ago and last week she started growling hissing and swiping at them she hasn't bitten them or anything like that as none have cuts does anyone have an idea .. my guess is that she's trying to get them to be independent for themselves .. as all eating drinking and using litter try on their own ... could this be why mum cat is being this way with them ... thanks for reading first time having a cat have kitten since I was a wee girl

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Have you contacted your breeding mentor?

3. Stacey g russell

All the cats are mine

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yes I understand the cat and kittens are yours. It is usual when a novice starts a breeding program to have a mentor who knows and understands the breed, to help with problems as they come along. With any breed of course but most especially when breeding exotics I would think.

She's probably gone into heat.

5. Stacey g russell

Sadly I didn't intend of breeding the two Bengals ... I got them both from a poorly life of starvation and neglected and full of ear might and fleas ... so I tried keeping them apart when I wasn't around to monitor them but male was smart and was able to my doors so he caught her it was only in the last week of her pregnancy I realized she was pregnant ...

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Glad you rescued them. So the male has been neutered now hopefully?

It can take a couple of months for all hormones to leave so continue to keep him away from her and the kittens until she is spayed. She can be spayed any time, too. Since she is likely in heat, you can make the appointment for two weeks from now, she should be done by then.

The kittens, too can be spayed and neutered then.

#6 lorilu, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  7. Stacey g russell

8. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

I agree with @lorilu, she's given excellent advice.

Around this age mums can be a bit rough with kittens, but she sounds like she's being a bit rougher than normal.

Please bear in mind that the male can still be fertile for 12 weeks following mating, so it's essential she is done as a priority so there can be no more kittens. It takes a lot out of girls to have litters back to back, and the second litter may not be so healthy.

As above, please get kittens neutered too before going to new homes at 13 weeks after a full course of vaccinations

Saffy Cat likes this.
  9. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Temperament is everything in Bengals, you have to be really careful to only breed the best, even then there can be problems. Some mums can be feral and dangerous to their kittens (and owner), keep a very close eye on her and the kittens. Make sure she's kept well away from the male, his smell may upset her also.

Rufus15 likes this.
  10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Also she can get pregnant again while she is feeding kittens. Hopefully he was neutered some time ago, but male fertility persists for several weeks after castration. If he can open the doors put a hook on the door to her room high enough he can't get at it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice