Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bengal advert really a moggie??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tillski, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

Whilst browsing preloved I came across this advert - supposedly a Bengal kitten for £200 but looking at the picture attached to the ad, it doesn’t look like a Bengal to me… I thought only moggie cats had those markings on their heads and it just doesn’t look pedigree to me.

Bengal Kittens FOR SALE READY NOW!
    Fully Wormed/ Frontlined and litter trained
    Mum and Dad and both pedigree Bengals ( both brown spotted) and can be seen
    Please contact me for further Info and Pictures spotted and marbled male and female avaliable
    £200 ono

Thought I’d ask the experts!

P.S I’m not looking to buy the cat, just being nosey!

Attached Files:

2. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

I have no experience of Bengals other than to say they are fabulous to look at. When I saw the small pic I thought yes Bengal, then enlarged I thought lucky coloured tabby, basically I don't know but £200 is an outrage for a moggie but its very cheap (I think) for a Bengal.

3. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

The top picture you have posted looks like a Bengal to me but I'm no expert.

The thing to remember is that tabby is a pattern not a breed so Bengals can have a tabby pattern and moggies can have a tabby pattern.

The only way to be absolutely certain of a cat's breed is to see their pedigree.

4. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I wouldnt like to say either, I think alot of Bengals look like regular tabbies to me, I wouldnt spend £200 on one though, maybe £20 lol

5. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I cant really see it, what do you mean by markings on the head?

Id also ask them for papers for mum & dad aswell

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

must be very badly bread to have total tabby strip markings or its a mogster, bengals are spotted! but some have barring at the front.

7. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I really meant the colours, although some moggies look an awful lot like bengals its hard to tell unless you're a breeder or have the papers.

8. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

moggies dont look like Bengals, even if you have no knowledge you can see that.

the sky man came over yesterday and he couldnt stop looking at Tia and asked if she was a 'special breed' I was 'she is a bengal' and he said 'you can tell she isnt a normal moggy, I have dogs myself'

lol example for you!

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

maybe from a distance lol I think I need another eye test! :)

10. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

My cats Ted and Dusty (see rip photo at bottom) were rescued and the when I registered them with our vet he said that Dusty looked like a Bengal but registered him as domestic short hair. This intrigued me so I looked up Bengal cats on the internet. I read that they can be spotty and stripey and like the earlier post stated tabby is only a pattern so there are breeders who are breeding tabby patterned Bengals. I'm not expert so I'll never know for sure. The picture below isn't actually a clear one of Dusty's markings but he was a gorgeous cat!
    Sharon
    x

11. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I think there is a very clear difference between a Bengal and a Moggy.

I remember going to see some Bengal kittens before buying my Birman and they were stunning, clearly well bred pedigree cats.

However it is very hard to tell from a picture and just because a kitten is spotted does not make it a Bengal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice