Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Benefits.... which one is the correct one?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by billyboysmammy, May 12, 2010.

?

which one is correct?

1. £1320

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. £1430

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. £1150

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  4. £1380

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. £1530

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. £1690

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on the amounts people should get compared to what they do get.

I am going to give some examples, and see if you can guess the right one.

Now the example i am giving you is based on someone renting privatly (because the waiting list take forever for social housing), in a reasonable area but not the best.

Demographics

single dad = 37yo
    child 1 = 5
    child 2 = 6

Rent = £795 for a 3 bed property, the only one in the area at the time that would accept dss money.

c/tax - taken out of his benefits before he recieves them
    electricity and gas = £85 a month
    food/nappies/toiletries/clothes = £350 a month
    bus pass = £40 a month
    phone/tv/internet = £40 a month

TOTAL: £1310

Now... guess which is his income from benefits?

(ps... before people ask this isnt my own example, this is from a friend. Mine varies from this because i am studying and because my son is disabled).

His example is a standard single parents in the uk who is currently not working. His youngest child has just this term started full time at school (phased entry) and he is actively seeking work as we speak.

Here is a hint... max housing benefit award available to him in this area is £140 a week

#1 billyboysmammy, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

he probably gets the highest?

personally i want to see all child tax credits scraped. kids are a priveledge not a right... cant afford it dont have them. condoms are free at the health clinic.

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

This is the reality of it BBM :(

The issue with benefits is those who DEFRAUD the system not those genuinely in need and that is down to the Government to admistrate better not for the working community to pay for.

Most people on a middle income are about 3 months away from being in that situation if it all goes pear shaped for them due to job loss or illness.

Savings ??? Who the hell can save on a low or middle income :eek:

Some of us did save by way of ISAs and Endowements not to mention Pensions and look where that got us :rolleyes:

I will say again There but for the grace of God go I .

4. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I think you have already posted this once.

What a sorry state we will all be in in our old age if everyone thought like that.

So now we are saying only the rich can have the "luxury" of children :rolleyes:

So if my OH loses is job who shall i hand my kids back to then :rolleyes:

5. billyboysmammy

he didnt ask to be a single dad. His wife commited suicide whilst suffering post natal depression! Before that he was working full time.

6. billyboysmammy

Yep rainy this is the reality of it. i shall wait for a few more votes though until i reveal his actual income from benefits!

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Then only very rich people will be able to afford them :rolleyes:

Not all children are planned, so should people have abortions/adpotion e.t.c because of mistakes condoms break, and the Morning after pill fails not everyone finds out early enough to do something about it.

child tax credit isnt for the parents its to stop child poverty (well meant to be apprently) they will have to give parents money another way, or people will quit there jobs as they wont be able to pay the very high child care fees (as tax credits can pay up to 80%) so there would be a higher drain on the benefit system and the goverment- yes i can totally see why tax credits should be stopped your a genius :rolleyes:

RAINYBOW likes this.
  8. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

They will have to go back were they came from :eek: :p

9. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

i did say that onceon adifferent thread and its still relevent on this,

not at all. I dont honestly think i will be able to afford kids, (and dont want them right now) but if i did and coludnt afford them quite honestly - tough,

No if people want kids - accounting for every possibility imo.

I was stating what i think - people should not rely on benefits - thats my point.

(take the idiot on the 20kj a year who pops out kids cause benefits pay for it all).....who picks up that bill? the likes of me - who wouldnt have kids unless I can affford them out of my wage ..... not other people (taax payers)

thats really sad.

My point still stands though - regardless of cicrumstances. I know someones whos partner has died and bringing up kids - not relying on child tax credits.

eta - earlier - stupid comment on sending kids back - im talking about now forward. grow up.

10. billyboysmammy

OUCH! :yikes:

11. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

There are days when that seems like a good option :lol:

12. billyboysmammy

ok i get your point. now pop back onto your high horse and ride up to your glass house in the sky.:rolleyes:

13. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

I have no idea but have made a guess.

All I can say is I wish my gas and electricity came to £85 a month for both :(

14. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

its called debating. Its not called 'insulting people'

give me a good argument on why people should get child tax credits...? Do people have a right to have kids and expect tax payers to cough up money? (whether they are paying or not)

dont insult me just because you cant come up with a good argument. :rolleyes:

15. billyboysmammy

tell me about it! I honestly dont know how he does it! Mine is much more, but then my heating is on a fair amount for my son.

16. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

You live in a dream world

Tax credits arent a benefit hence why WORKING people upto £62k can get them, Single people under £16.5k can get working tax credit to top up thier wages And guess what they pay tax aswell Just the same as you do so they are funding themselfs not you :thumbup:

17. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

im talking about child tax credits..... i shoudl have stated that more clearly.

tax credits im all for - people who work get wages topped up.... brilliant (i dont get it i work but im too young)

18. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Can we keep this thread civil, thank you :)

19. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I am not convinced you understand Tax Credits. They are not a benefit they are a tax break, people have to be working to get them therefore they are contributing via the tax they pay on their earnings.

They ENABLE people to get off benefits and back to work thus costing the country less. Is that not a good enough argument.

If the average person waited until they could "afford" kids taking every scenario into consideration there would be very few kids born so where will all the tax payers of the future come from then ?????

20. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I voted for £1380 - Whilst I agree that those who need help should get it esp for those that have worked who suddenly find themselves made redundant or lose a partner etc - the facts are that a lot of people get benefits just for having kids and imo that is wrong.

My OH's ex is a prime example - she has NEVER had a job and has two children - she lives in a 3 bedroom house - managed to go on holdiay 3 times abroad last year:eek: - bought them new laptops at christmas etc etc the list goes on - she also gets free prescriptions free dentist - but the children are now 11 and 14???? can she not go to work part time?? its these type of people who really get my goat!

I work full time managed to go abroad in 2008 - yes I have some nice things and yes I have laptop/computer etc but the fact is I EARNT those things - I often feel penalised as a working person.

There are far too many people who have children who rely on benefits ALL their life and imo that is wrong - it is not a crutch to hold u up indefinetly its to help u if you are struggling but this is where the system gets abused.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice