Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Bells on cat toys...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jesthar, Feb 13, 2019 at 3:49 PM.

1. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Ok, you lovely lot, I'd like some opinions :)

I recently started making wand toys as well as my crochet toys, and some people at shows have suggested putting bells on them. I hadn't thought to do that as mine don't really like noisy toys, so I'm wondering how many cats do, or at least don't mind?

I've also had some suggest adding bells to the crochet toys, but I'm less keen to do that as I can't think of any eat to do it other than sew them on the outside, and I don't think that would be very safe.

Thanks! Here's a few photos of some of the toys :) IMG_20180920_181612.jpg IMG_20180921_005056.jpg IMG_20180920_181800.jpg

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I hate bells on toys. Not just because it annoys me, but because they aren't safe. In addition to the choking hazard on the outside of a toy, a bell could really hurt a kitty's teeth if she bit down on it, or if she had it in her mouth and you inadvertently pulled at the toy during the game.

TriTri, Forester, NFC slave and 2 others like this.
  3. DolomiTTe

DolomiTTe Kitty Collector

My cats don't mind bells, it's me that does - they drive me nuts! I always take the bells of collars before I put them on the cats and don't buy noisy toys (don't think the cats mind, especially as one is deaf). Nice wands by the way :Cat

ewelsh and Jesthar like this.
  4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Why don't you do a few with n some without ( on the same type of toy); then people can choose which they prefer.

I dislike bells on wands n fishing rod toys as they're far too noisy, especially if there's a vigorous play session

ewelsh and Jesthar like this.
  5. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I had lots of bells removed from toys because of safety fears but I have used them and bought others to make my rattlesnakes, which are a larger version of the snake from Knits for Kitties. I wrap the bell in foil before I put it inside the snake so I don't think it would work its way out even if a cat bit the snake. So far nobody has said they have been a danger but I suppose we might now have people saying my rattlesnakes have had to be confiscated! @ChaosCat ?

When they are inside a toy they don't make such a loud noise.

Jesthar likes this.
  6. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

My girls like a bell, but I do tend to take them off for safety reasons ( apart from Lottie’s collar bells, just so I can hear where she is in the night time)

I think a bell inside is safe enough but risky externally. I am super paranoid though!

Loving your designs x

Trixie1 and Jesthar like this.
  7. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

The rattle snakes are great, the bell is absolutely safe inside- and my girls are a really thorough product testers. Bonny’s rattle snake is spineless now, but the bell prevails.

They aren’t too noisy, just loud enough to be of interest but not so loud that my nerves suffer.
    The piratesses and I can highly recommend @QOTN ’s snakes!

huckybuck, QOTN and Jesthar like this.
  8. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

I don’t like bells. Your toys look amazing though!

Jesthar likes this.
  9. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Thank you! Yup, the noise isn't for me, either ;)

I have Knits for Kitties (my girls are models in there), but can't knit! I have developed my own snake design in crochet, though :) I don't think a wrapped bell would work it's way out either, so that might be something to try, thanks for the idea :)

10. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I have had bells come off of knitted/crochet toys so am wary of those. Bells on feather toys, I have had cats catch their claws in the slit in the bell so I'm not keen on those either. The girls, however quite like bells on their toys so we have them but play is limited.
    @Jesthar I do like the look of your peacock and pheasant feather wands :Cat - would you message me with details on cost of those please :)

Ali71, NFC slave and Jesthar like this.
  11. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I don't like bells on toys. They can catch on teeth and claws or be a danger if they come off and could be swallowed.
    I have collars with a bell on as she's an outdoor cat and I can hear where she is. So can the birds.
    If I get a toy and it has a bell then I remove it.
    Sorry, it's probably not what you were hoping to hear. I love your toys though, they look really good.

Jesthar, lorilu and NFC slave like this.
  12. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Jonescat and Jesthar like this.
  13. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I always take bells off of toys that are for chasing or chewing and such.

For wand toys with feathers or other items that are human interactive, I don't mind a bell if it is high up enough that it won't be bitten.
    I have a few wands like that and they are fine, as they are put away when I am not using them.

Your feather toys look great. I especially like the peacock feathers.:cool:

As someone said you can offer the same versions with bells or no bells.

Jesthar likes this.
  14. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

Could you have a supply of bells available, then anybody who wants a bell on a toy can buy one and sew it on themselves, that way it's the buyers responsibility to make sure the bell is secure. My two don't seem to keen on any toys so bell or no bell wouldn't apply to us

Jesthar likes this.
  15. weebeasties

weebeasties PetForums Member

The favorite wand toy of my cats for many years had a small Styrofoam ball that had been hollowed out on the inside. A bell was placed in the hollow and re-glued. Then the whole thing was covered in fabric. It wasn't loud. It made a very muffled sound. My cats played with and dragged that wand around for years! (Until I stepped on the ball and broke it.:confused:) I really need to try and make a new one because I've never found another like it in a store.

Jesthar and Trixie1 like this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Jesthar and NaomiM like this.
  17. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Not at all, I asked because I and mine have never really liked them and I've never been sure they're that safe. And thank you :)

Thank you! Raffia is definitely an interesting suggestion, I'll have to try that at some point :)

It's a thought for the crochet toys, although I worry more about them than I would the wands - I use a very strong method to secure the feathers/toy element to the rod and I'm pretty confident if I did add a bell to them (at the top of the rod), then the only way a bell could be removed would be if the string it was threaded on was severed. The downside is you need a powered tool to do it, so I couldn't do that on the fly at most shows, as you don't usually have power sockets (or you have to pay for them). Maybe adding a bell to a couple of each design (there are more than the above, I just don't have photos of them yet...) is the way to go :)
    That sounds like a very unusual toy indeed - I like it! Maybe I'll try something similar if I can figure it out :D Strangely, the reason I started making my own wand toys originally was because I bought a toy at a show several years ago which Charlie-girl unexpectedly loved (she never normally plays with anything) and I'd never seen anything like it again :)

NaomiM likes this.
  18. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Are we going to see you on Dragon's Den? I do hope so.;)

Jesthar likes this.
  19. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

We have a lot of hand made wands in similar designs, most have bells and it’s not an issue during play.
    I use wands to get cats & kittens to pose for photos too, bells are helpful for that.
    Wands are not left out for cats to use unattended.

My cats don’t like crochet toys, but we’ve won some at shows with bells inside. They aren’t too loud and are safely contained in the toy.

I’m sure your wands will be a hit with breeders, great for kitten packs if you offer bulk lots :)

lymorelynn and Jesthar like this.
  20. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I love the frondy feather ones.

I think my lot are fairly ambivalent about bells, apart from the one girl who loves if there is a bell toy underneath something and she can hear it. Out in the open though not so much...

Jesthar likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice