Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bells not well

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sarybeagle, Mar 25, 2011.

1. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Yesterday I noticed how lethargic Bella was being and she didnt show much interest on the offer of a walk until my step mum turned up and wanted to pop to P@H and I took Bell with us for a drive too. She was very alert and interested in everything in there yet as soon as we got home she just flaked out on the sofa again.

She perked up tea time and ate her tea as normal and then settled down (as normal) for the evening but about 9pm she started shivering on my lap, however 2 mins later a police helicopter appeared overhead and stayed there for 2 hours :)mad:) So im not sure if it was the helicopter or her not feeling well. Shortly after she took herself to her cage and curled up and went to sleep.

This morning I came down and she was still in her cage (unusual as she has run of living room and is always stretched out on sofa all night) I opened the patio door and popped upstairs to get dressed and next thing I heard was "mum bella has been sick!"

Came down and she was back in her bed and a big pile of last nights dinner on my rug. :glare: Checked her all over and she was ok except she just looked sad and fed up. DH had today off so he took her to the vets who can find nothing wrong with her and to just keep an eye on her. Her gums are paler than normal but vet seems happy with them. If no better monday then to go back in.

Im going to do her a little chicken and rice for tea but I actually miss my bouncy barking beagle :( shes currently asleep on my lap making it very hard to type on my laptop!

Vet thinks its just a viral thing. I have noticed she licking her lips/swallowing more often than normal? Any ideas? xxxx

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Sorry cant offer much help other than to say that's exactly what Heidi gets like with an upset tum. The licking and swallow is a sure sign to me her tum isnt right. I would be inclined to starve her until tomorrow if she is still licking and swallowing. Or feed a v small amount and see how she goes.

Hope she soon picks up. Not nice when all they want is their bed. Heidi had such a spate of tum upsets now when she goes onto her bed I wonder if she's poorly :D

sarybeagle likes this.
  3. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Aww Poor Heidi too :( she's had a shot of anti sickness injection but I think I'll skip tonights meal unless she is begging for it.

The house feels so empty :( xxx

4. Will@GowerVets

Will@GowerVets PetForums Newbie

How old is Bella? Does she have a temperature?
    Will

#4 Will@GowerVets, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
  5. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

She's 18 months old, vet said temp was normal. Shes curled up on hubby shivering again :confused: I'm just off out to work again so will update later tonight xx

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

The licking/swallowing is often a sign of acid reflux. You're doing right by giving a light meal of chicken and rice, I normally give my boys a small does of zantac liquid if they've been sick a couple of times, helps settle the acid (which can irritate their throats), you may want to check with your vet though for Bella.

Poor little girl, I hope shes feeling much brighter in the morning :( x

7. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

do you think she might have picked something up whilst on a walk the other day?

when kody swallowed something (still dont know what it was, we think a bit of leather) he was all shivery and lethargic and throwing up. is she still going to the toilet alright?

8. Will@GowerVets

Will@GowerVets PetForums Newbie

Licking lips and swallowing can often be a response to pain in dogs and cats.

I would make sure that temperature is normal and would always keep steroid responsive menigitis/arteritis in mind in young beagles.

Does her neck appear sore? Is she carrying her head lower than normal?

Is she looking stiff/painful as she moves about?

9. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

My dog has weird episodes of trying to swallow and chewing/licking. My vet said similar re he is probably uncomfortable and/or in pain. He has them late at night and paces and tries to desperately eat grass and with him my vet said to walk him see if it wears off if not give him a Zantac tablet and keep an eye on him.

No idea what it could be with Bella apart from a little bug or something. I would guess the chewing/licking is more likely to be a bit of an attempt at a release mechanism or something like acid reflux and I think they can look a bit funny as they swallow because they don't like the taste sometimes..! Be it for an upset belly or something else. Least she's been to the vets though, that's reassuring for you that they said she is OK :)

10. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

No it's nothing like the srm "attack" she had shortly after her spay (3days post op!) she's still moving normally, vet checked neck and spine. She also checked stomach heart etc no blockages or irregular beats. Her eyes are clear-no pink or redness and aside from sleeping and pale gums nothing else is wrong.

Vet couldn't find anything wrong with her to the point dh felt it was a waste of time but it eased my mind on her being seen.

I can't be 100% sure she's not eaten something but I'm pretty near sure. X

11. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Arr! bless! hope your baby is better soon Hun! :)

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Sounds v much like Heidi a few weeks ago.

She was sick 7 times in 2hrs and then started shaking. I panicked and rushed her to the vets where she was thoroughly checked. No temperature or other obvious signs so he gave her an anti sickness jab and rehydration sachets.

This was in the evening and he said to feed her a small amount the following morning. I did, against my better judgement and the sickness started again, but not as bad. I kept her on the sachets all day and didnt feed her until the following morning. She kept that down no problem so I fed her little and often.

She recovered really quickly and I can only assume she picked up something (which I didnt see) or it was a bug.

Hope Bella is much better v soon x

13. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

hows Bella today?

14. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

She was still asleep when I left for work this morning but dh said when he picked the lead up she started to look brighter so he's taken her to training and he said if she looked like not happy he would just sit out with her and watch others so at least she's out in fresh air etc.

Seeing as hes not back yet I'm guessing they stayed?

She didn't want any tea last night so I'll do some rice for when she gets home later. Xxxxx

15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Good news - hope she is on the mend x

16. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

uh-oh just had a text, training was a nightmare apparently as she just wanted to go be with the lady who boarded her last weekend for us!! :eek:

17. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Hope Bella is back to being herself soon,It may be a good sign if she wanted to be with the boarder,as she may be more alert.

OH took Alf out today for his normal walk and he said he was a nightmare too,all he wanted to do today,was attach himself to anyone and any dog,wasn't 100% responsive to the whistle and was generally in a naughty mood!God I hope we aren't having teenage stage 2!

Bigs hugs and soppy kisses from Alf to Bellsx

18. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Theres a stage 2!!!!! nooooooooo :nono: :cryin: :blink: I don't think I could cope lol!!!

uh oh naughty Alf lol. yeah Dh just said training a huge nightmare wanted to be with X constantly lol!!! Its his first time going alone too.

19. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I dont want to burst bubbles here but I think there's stage 3, 4 etc.... Either that, or I've drawn the short straw:(

20. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Yeah,starting to realise that there may be more!that'll teach me for bragging on here about how brill he is!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice