Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bells eye is swelling :-/

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sarybeagle, Apr 26, 2011.

1. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Like the title says madams eye is suddenly looking swollen :( [​IMG]

We took her for a walk about 730pm and she did get several dandelion seeds on her face-tracking a scent through dandelion clump so Im wondering if it's that??

She the came and sat out the front whilst we washed the car (tied to porch on short lead so no access to anything) and came in and fell asleep on sofa next to me.

I just got up to go to bed and turned the light on and she woke up and started pawing her face and I looked and saw her right eye looking swollen on her upper lid, near the cornea. she's not overly bothered by it, but it looks nasty.

Is there anything I can do? Bath in cool water? Although I think she'll get grouchy if I try that :cryin: any ideas?

2. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

have you got any antihistamines you could give her? and try bathing it with cool water

hope she is better soon

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I'd bathe it and give her an antihistamine as well.
    I hope it goes down and is nothing to worry about.

4. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Hi - have you checked that there is not a grass seed or anything like that in it? I agree flush it with cool water and see if that helps. :)

5. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

I've only got clarityn allergy tablets. 10mg loratadine. Are they safe? :confused: I feel uneasy giving her "human medication" :blink:

6. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Have you got any steripods? Or similar saline wash? probably try to irrigate the eye if she will let you rather than using fabric of anysort as you could push something she has in there deeper.

Bless her, hope it goes down soon

7. Fleur

I've given mine periton(sp) and clarityn with no ill effects.

8. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

She's currently snoring her head off :sleep: I don't know whether to wake her or leave her?

If she'd got something in on our walk surely it would of irritated there and then like when we get something in our eye?

9. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

i dont know why but I also have the feeling something might still be in her eye. let us know how she gets on!

10. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Still swollen this morning :( she's letting me touch it with no pain and isn't scratching it or anything?

Going to get her seen by vet today and will let you know what happens xx

Sarah x

11. Fleur

Poor girl - hope it's all OK.

12. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed the vet can sort it easily

13. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Poor Bella, I hope she gets sorted out by the vet.

14. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Dh very kindly took bell to the vets first thing and he's text to say-looks like a reaction to something rather than a foreign object in there. Shes had the dye in and no visible scratches or seeds etc. She's had steroid injection and should go. If no better tomorrow go back as Its bank hols weekend ( typical!!)

Can't wait to go home and give her a big cuddle. Xx

15. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Aww poor Bella. Glad it's nothing too serious :)

16. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I'm glad I was wrong about thinking something was in her eye. Hope the enjoy does the trick!

17. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Arnies eyes used to be terrible, and still go like this every now and then after walks especially this time of year, I wipe his eyes over with luke warm water and cotton pads, cold tea is also a good one for keeping eyes clear from pollens etc.

18. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Bless her she's 'crying' green tears :blink: very cuddly pupster but I'm not complaining. Not as swollen now but still not right.

I've bought some piriteze (no piriton in chemist) to have now as standby. Thanks for the well wishes.

DH got quite cross with me last night as I started saying what if she's in some kind of allergy reaction and her tongue swells etc and basically going off the deep end of omg kinda thing but I said tomorrow it's 2 years I suddenly lost my baby dog over night to a stroke and I was just paranoid and hysterical thinking bell was doomed ( I know I know cold light of day I see I was ott :eek: :glare:) But I'm sure you know what I mean...........someone :rolleyes:

19. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Oh god, I know exactly where you're coming from. :eek: And so does near enough everyone here. :rolleyes: :D
    Been there done that many times with the green dye. Best to wipe the eyes over after walks to try and stop this happening again, the dogs get used to it, Arnie even sighs when he sees what I'm up to now. :D

20. rona

rona Guest

I wonder if it was a sting?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice