Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bella's cyst has popped... Cyst

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Engel98, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

I will begin by saying I'm in a somewhat fragile state at the moment (mental health and child trauma) so bare with me.

Bella, my toy poo X has had 2 cysts and a couple of pimples (small cysts) that she's had since we got her back in February. One of the larger cysts is by her leg, the other on the back of the neck.

The one on the side by her leg has popped, once just after we got her and I thought it was a one off. Tonight Ive gone to go to bed and I've noticed small blobs in her coat and sure enough it had broken the skin a was draining. Now it's dry stuff not liquid and there's no blood. Just when she moves a certain way it expresses some more.

Well I got some warm salt water, not the most sophisticated treatment but better than nothing, just to wipe the gunk away and keep it clean. I applied a bit to much pressure while doing it, she squeaked and more had come out. It doesn't hurt her to touch it's just while this chunk of sebum/dead skin mix shot out her body.

I feel awful because I've hurt her while just trying to clean the area to stop it going nasty. It wasn't my intention :(

(Cysts have been checked by vet and they are somewhat walled off but still grow. Vet says they are not harming her and they don't bother her so leave it. They are the size of a BB so tiny really.)

Was I wrong for cleaning it? Should I have just left it? Should I be taking her to the vets or at least mention it to her? As I said it's not bothering her, it's happened before and everything was fine. Am I overthinking?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d have done exactly what you did tbh

If the cyst was oozing I’d think bathing with salt water would keep it/her clean and help prevent infection.

It probably was a bit tender but I’m sure she won’t hold it against you ;)

I’d keep an eye on it over the next couple of days, keeping it clean as it heals.

If you’re worried or it looks infected I’d pop along to the vet for peace of mind.

Burrowzig, Sarah H, margy and 6 others like this.
  3. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

I too would've done exactly the same.

Of course it wasn't your intention to hurt her, and as @Lurcherlad said, I'm sure she won't hold it against you! In fact she probably forgot all about it within minutes.
    Do just keep an eye on it and keep it clean, and obviously if you are concerned then just take a trip to the vets to get it checked out. :)

Burrowzig, Sarah H, Calvine and 3 others like this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

No experience of cysts but many of us have accidentally hurt our pets - I remember T giving out a massive yelp when he once turned at the same time as I was clipping his lead to his harness and I caught his ear (no, i have no idea either how i actually did it). It has made no difference, he still loves me!

Burrowzig, Sarah H, margy and 3 others like this.
  5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I did the same when Dillon cysts burst, just keep it clean don't be tempted to keep messinhg with it. If by the end of the week it starts to look infected see your vet. On saying that Dillons normal healed without any problems.

6. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

My mother had a saying when we used to have cuts and grazes cleaned which was always painful!

"Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind".

I think that cleaning Bella's cyst falls into that category, so don't feel too badly about it.

7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

From what you've said it sounds like sebaceous cysts and some dogs seem much more prone to them than others. Bathing a burst cyst with salt water certainly won't do any harm.

8. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

9. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

That's like one of my biggest fears so I use a harness on all the dogs. They walk better on it too :)

10. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Oh, it just happened to be a harness - it could have been a collar, a seat belt, a coat - I'm just clumsy!

Engel98 likes this.
  11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My old dog had a small cyst on the back of her head, it seemed to just have clear fluid in - lymph, probably. When it got big, I'd sterilise a pin in a flame and pop it. It was the same every time, and would slowly re-grow. She didn't seem to notice me popping it, half the time.

12. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Vet didn't say what type of cyst, she just confirmed it was. I asked them to check when she went in for her spay. The cysts were so hard and perfectly round and the same size as a BB that I thought she'd been shot with one. (There's many things with Bella that doesn't add up with what the owners daughter says. A broken tail 3/4 of the way up which was hidden under long matted hair and a fear of scissors near her tail. Rest of the body is fine).

I suspected a sebaceous cyst as I read that poodles are generally more likely as a breed for them as well as sebaceous adenitis? Many of Bella symptoms appear the same but changing her food helped her a lot so I think it could be a factor as her coat is no longer brittle and is regaining colour. Her skin isn't as flaky and the cysts haven't grown as much since, well grown slower anyway.

13. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Oh dear. Better be extra careful over Xmas then ;)

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice