Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bella not very well

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Her appetite has been a bit funny past few days...not finishing her meals etc.

Today she flat out refused breakfast, but the most concerning is that she got tired on our morning walk. This is a first - it has never happened before. And we only went for an hour so it wasn't extra long or anything. It isn't hot (in fact it's raining now) so I can't think of any reason why she should be tired.

So we're going to the vet this afternoon as I think I shouldn't ignore her slightly strange behaviour any longer!

I have even tried tempting her with cheese and ham this morning and she isn't interested.

I will let you know how we get on!

2. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Hope you get on ok, Its so worrying when you know something is wrong but cant put your finger on it.

Good Luck x x

3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

yes that's exactly it - i was saying to my family how this is one of the times i wish they could speak.

The food thing doesn't worry me much with Bella. The main thing that got me worried is that she was tired after half an hour walkng. Bella has never ever ever shown signs of being tired...even on much longer more active walks in warmer weather.

Hopefully we'll know what we're dealing with this afternoon... maybe vet will decide to do some bloodwork!

4. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Yes definitely go to the vet - your gut instinct is kicking in.

I hope the vet is able to put things right. Please let us know how she got on.

5. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Welcome to my world (tired on walks)!

Hope the vet can find what's up with her. My vet's current recommendation is to try Rupert with a bit of caffeine every morning in the form of a cup of tea see if that helps perk him up any ;)

Let us know how she gets on :)

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thank you both!

Thing is think each dog is dfferent. With my Nelson it was food. If he didn't eat i just knew he wasn't well. He was always slow on walks so that didn't concern me.

Bella is just an energy ball...and I just can't get my head around her being tired and refusing a jog at the end of the walk. It was long fast walk, with some off lead, so it would be be understandable for most dogs to be tired at the end... but just not something Bella would do!

7. GoldenShadow

Is it getting much warmer where you are, is her fur in need of a clip or anything?

8. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Oddly enough we're having a very cold spring so far. I'm still in long tops and trousers.

Good thinking about the clip - but she had one 2 weeks ago!

REally struggling to think why she might be tired, and that's why I'm worried:(

9. GoldenShadow

Maybe she's just having an off day? How old is she? People have said to me this might just be Rupert growing up. I really hope its not, but you never know :(

10. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Just a thought - I know you've been away, were the long walks continued in your absence? Just wondering if her fitness level and stamina could have dropped?

11. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

She has definintely grown up and calmed down! But this thing with her being tired is just not right.

It wasn't just today. She hasn't been too off colour, but she has been slightly less playful with other dogs at the dog park. She will happily play, but stops and rests after a while... whereas before she'd literally just play non stop until the other dog got tired and ended it. I didn't think much of it, but after this morning's walk, and her unsatsfactory appetite, I think we have to go to the vet!

12. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

yes they were:) My mom was brilliant with her. 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour at the dog park in the afternoon! My family agrees with me that she is a little subdued..especially today - so it's not just me that noticed the change!

13. rona

rona Guest

Good luck at the vet.
    I hate things like this because you can't quite place your finger on what's wrong and the poor vet is working fairly blind :(

14. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

I hope everything is ok when you see the vet later. Try not to worry we all have off days.

15. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

very true. I'm not exactly sure what to tell the poor guy. she is slightly tired and eating slightly less...that could be a million things!

I hoped it was nothing and have been ignoring it (started beginning of the week)... but it's been about 3 days now and generally that is my limit for waiting and watching.

16. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Hope she brightens up and it goes ok at vets.

Hugs to Bella

17. jayne5364

jayne5364 PetForums VIP

Hope she's feeling better soon and the vet can find out what's up. Hopefuly she's just a little under the weather. It's so hard when you know somethings not quite right but can't put your finger on it.

18. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Hope you get her sorted soon.:)

19. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Nothing obvious is wrong with her.
    No temp. heart and lungs fine. tummy felt fine.

We're leaving it at that and watching until Saturday!

Ironically Bella seemed perkier at the park today, and ate all her dinner!

20. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Thats great news. Tilly was like that the other week and it seemed to clear up all by itself. With a little help from the vet too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice