UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These past few weeks Bella has become a real chewer...she spends ages chewing her bones/chews etc. She never ever used to be like this, even at her teething phase.
We walk fro at least 3 hours a day off lead, we play about an hour a day, we do training sessions every day, she comes along to friends houses and for car rides...so I don't think she is bored.

Any dieas why this sudden increase in chewing? (from less than 15 minutes a day to a couple of hours a day!))

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have you brought her any new toys lately that she particularly likes chewing? If not then I would get her teeth checked as it could be a sign of tooth problems.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She has always had a ridiculous variety of chews and toys...so nothing has changed there. She was at the vets the other day for an ear check up,a nd he also looked at her teethw hile he was at it and they are fine:), as are the gums!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New teeth at 1 year? She has changed all her teeth by 7 months.

She chews mostly in the afternoon before our walk,a nd at night before she goes to bed.

She is on a light dog food since being sapyed, even thoughs he is not AT all overweight, and gets more than enough exercise... Maybe she is still hungry on this?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hmm strange, I don't know any other causes of sudden excessive than tooth problems, but if a vet has already checked her teeth recently... weird. Is she acting okay in every other way?

G

·
Don't they teeth again at 1 year? Well not teeth, but their gums set I got told by the vet?? x

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well you said yourself she is a rescue and age was approximate. She could be late teether not all dogs a only need re the same. Light diets after spaying only meant to be for 48 hours after so yeah it wouldn't surprise me if she was hungry. Chewing is also a sign of boredom. So maybe she needs more exercise.

G

·
If you are still implementing the chill out periods, it may be her way of over coming her frustration at these.
SHE STILL NEEDS THEM THOUGH ;)

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are still implementing the chill out periods, it may be her way of over coming her frustration at these.
SHE STILL NEEDS THEM THOUGH ;)
Rona I think you've hit the nail on head, as this is when she gets chew obsessed.
We chillout 2-3 hours in the morning after our walk play and training sessiona nd she handles this one ok.
But then she isn't happy at her second chillout session before our afternoon walk. She gets a short lunch walk, some playing time, some training and I brush her before this chillout.
She is ok until about 4pm, the chillout begins after 2pm, but at 4 she just needs to be busy. We often just go for a drive...visit a friend, pet shop, as it is to hot to walk until 6pm. We do some more training and playing, and then finally we go to the dog park until about 8pm.
At night she isn't too bad...she eats after she has realxed and cooled down when we come home, then she may or may not nap until her evening playing session and toilet walk.

Should I maybe reduce her chillout times a little? How can I make these less frustrating for her?

G

·
Don't cut them down, she needs to learn how to deal with them in her own way, if chewing is her way of dealing with it, then that is good.
At least she won't be pestering your mother when you go away :)

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't cut them down, she needs to learn how to deal with them in her own way, if chewing is her way of dealing with it, then that is good.
At least she won't be pestering your mother when you go away :)
We have been doing outings with my mom, and I've been leaving her a little more at home with my mom while I go out - came home to find her sleeping on the couchw ith my mom the other day;). So I hope that aspect of things is going well.

I guess chewing is better than gnawing at parts of her body/pacing/barking ets. I just want my girl to be 100% 100% of the time! And I know if she could choose to not chillout she would. But i guess sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

G

·
Not exactly cruel is it?
If dogs only ever suffered that cruelty, there would be a lot of pampered pooches in the world :001_tt2::laugh:

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not exactly cruel is it?
If dogs only ever suffered that cruelty, there would be a lot of pampered pooches in the world :001_tt2::laugh:
I consider many things cruel...only allowing her to sniff teh same spot 5 minutes before moving on, for example.
Or recalling her after allowing to play for another dog with 10 minutes!!

Im a tad bit crazy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.