Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Being sick ??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GillyR, May 27, 2010.

1. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

My dogs are not ill, they are still acting like the lunatics they are.

But have noticed that Max in particular has been off colour since we had this heat....he is eating and drinking ok, his number twos, have gone from being consitpated, to being runny, and he has been getting sick at times too, normally after he has just eaten.

He has boiled chick, rice and veg, also dried food normally...but i have introduced a raw meaty bone once a week. Should i lay off raw food until his stomach settles? also, i was told mixing both cooked and raw are ok, he only has raw meaty bone once a week?.

What do you think?

2. rona

rona Guest

Process of elimination I think.
    My boy takes a while to get used to different foods, may be introduce the bones slowly. a few minutes chewing increasing to a full bone after a period of time

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I think alot of dogs tend to suffer in the heat,and some do get sick once in a while,I wouldnt think the bone will make him sick,and it will more likely make his poo firmer rather than looser.Could you try soaking his food before he eats it,that way itll go down better.If it continues,you may want to just have him checked over,just incase its something else.

#3 Bearpaw, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  4. rona

rona Guest

Alfie gets a terribly upset tum with bones

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Aww bless him! i guess maybe some dogs just cant eat them.Iv always had the reverse,theyve really helped with tummy problems.Is that because of the difference in meat he is used to?

6. rona

rona Guest

I think so, raw hide chews do the same so I have to restrict them.
    He hasn't got a particularly sensitive tum either :confused:

7. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I dont give the hide chews anymore as mine dont chew them and choke or swallow too much and get horrendous tums.(or worse)
    Maybe Gillyr,if you think it could be the bones,then stop them for now and see if the symptoms get better.If they persist though,do see the vet for a check,it could be something else.

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

What meat were you giving him? Some dogs react badly to chicken or pork or beef. If it's a new thing and the sickness started when you brought it in take it out and see if it stops. It could just be the heat though

9. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

Thanks xxx

Also they all have been eating a lot of grass.
    They have boiled chicken rice and veg, kibble, eggs a few times a week.

They dont have rawhides. But do have pig/cows ears, prizzle sticks, as a treat.

Think i will just stick to the dried food, and boiled chicken for now.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice