Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Behaviour problems

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Halede, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Halede

Halede PetForums Newbie

Hello I am looking for help with my dog in regards his behaviour since lockdown. He has gotten very aggressive around the vacinity of our home. So if leave to go for a walk and there is anyone he doesn't know or another dog he now barks growls and pulls on the lead showing aggression.also we have a new dog moved in next door and he goes mad just running up and down the garden along the fence when he can tell the dog is on the other side

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Did the new behavior start before or after the new dog moved in next door?

Has he been to the vet to be sure he isn't ill or in pain?

3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

This part is pretty normal dog behaviour. I have had a similar problem during lockdown in that new dogs have appeared in the gardens bordering mine. My dog doesnt run up and down the fence line, but she does bark when she hears them.

First of all, dont let the behaviour continue as it becomes an established habit then.

You can try a couple of things.

One is to always pop a trailing longline on your dog when he goes into the garden. The second he goes to start the fence running, go out, pick up the end of the line and calmly bring him in again. He will gradually realise that barking ends his outdoor time.

Two you can go out into the garden and train him to be calm whist the dog next door is there. So have him calmly in his sit position and treat him all the time he can stay quiet. You can prolong his quiet be use of a word like good.

So good . . . .good . . .good . . . .treat.

Obvs initially you might be treat treat treat until you can get time built up.

Stay far from the fence to start and then move closer as you build it up.

Also do training in your garden and see if he can train with you and learn to ignore the dog.

I have trained a visual signal for my dog so she knows when i put my finger to my lips it means quiet. It often works but if she still barks, she comes in.

Sometimes i just chuck a handful of cheese out of the window if im busy cooking and that keeps her busy!

Your other issues are best left to more knowlegeable forum members than me.

Hope that helps a little though. What age is your dog? Is he neutered?

neverforgotten2020 and Ian246 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice