Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Behaviour help please

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Veba, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

My 2 year old male cocker spaniel has been going crazy on our walks for the last several days. He's pulling like mad and sniffing frantically all over the pavement. I tried stop/start but he cried or barked. Then I realised he was over threshold and nothing I could do would stop him. Last night we got back to outside the house and he went mad with his sniffing. I managed to get him to come halfway up the drive and he just stopped. I waited and gave a gentle pull and he pulled back trying to get out of the collar (we usually use harness but he isn't keen and was particularly against it last night).

The last two nights he's been crying at the front door to get out which he's never done before.

The only thing I can think of is there is a bitch in heat who is walking along our street. I've taken different routes but he's still the same and he's the same for the whole walk. Not very enjoyable :(

Anything else it could be? Any advice if this is what it is?

2. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

no expert but it does sound like he's after a bitch in heat.

Lurcherlad and Veba like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I'd put money on that. Sorry, no helpful suggestions though :(

Lurcherlad and Veba like this.
  4. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

And from what I'm reading heat can last 3 weeks :( What a way to start lockdown!

Oh well, off I go for my "relaxing"daily exercise :rolleyes:

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Don't give up hope, maybe someone will have words of wisdom!

Veba likes this.
  6. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

I hope so. I'll Google a bit more too.

Half hour and visited 3 poo spots but he was too busy sniffing. I did smile when he sat at the kerbs before crossing like a good boy :)

Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Definitely sounds like there's a lovely lady in the area! Once he knows she's about you will struggle to get him to stop. Can you scatter some food around (something really yummy and preferably smelly too) to try and get his nose sniffing out something else? And then maybe when he realises you have the good stuff too he'll be more inclined to focus on you?

Lurcherlad, Woah and Veba like this.
  8. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

I've tried that with kibble but as soon as he's finished he's straight back on the hunt. I'll have to up my game and bring out the hotdogs!

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  9. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Would neutering help? Or is that another myth?

(Neutering decision would not be based on this issue alone.)

10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Not necessarily I had a castrated male that would cry a lot at night, get worked up over bitches in heat. It took a while once to work out why he used to get especially bad in my house every 6 months, then it twigged it was next doors unspayed bitch. My neighbour didn't actually have to tell me her bitch had passed away (ages 20 due to heart problems) as I said to my OH, I don't think they have Bonnie next door, he's not reacted to her these past few months.
    I do think Jovi was extremely sensitive to other bitches in heat though.
    I mean before I twigged I did get his heart checked out, had searched my garden for wildlife, any holes they could get in it was a walled garden. To clarify I lived in 2 separate houses with him and he would cry whine middle of the night wanting to go out and cry whine pant so I guess someone could also be walking a bitch late at night too.

11. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Thanks for letting me know. Ugh, at least it's just the evenings for us and not through the night!

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice