Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Behaviour concerns

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Engel98, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

I have some concerns about my 11 month old bichon frise who has recently been castrated. Before the castration 3 weeks ago he was a overly hyper pup who many described as having ADHD. He was a very confident and outgoing dog but now hes very subdued, solom and fearful.

Is this normal behaviour for him to display after the op or is it something to be concerned about.

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

First recourse would be to swing him back by the vet to make sure everything has healed correctly and he’s not masking pain.

kimthecat, Lurcherlad and Torin. like this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Have you contacted his vet? I wonder if he is having some kind of pain.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

He's been for a 3 day and 10 check and everything was fine and healinh correctly. His system reacted badly to the pain meds they gave him so they said not to give him any. That was during the first couple of days. He's shown no signs of pain. The area isn't sore, red or warm to the touch. He's eating, drinking and toileting fine-no signs of anything going on and he will play and wants fuss and attention. I just find it weird because his world was at 100mph and now it's snails pace.

5. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

He had a 3 day and 10 day check and everything was fine. It's something that's only happened within the last week or so. He was his usual self up until then

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Then it's unlikely to be related to the neuter I would think. Perhaps he has hurt himself someway. A sprain or torn a ligament or something. A trip to the vet might be the thing to do if a couple of days of rest doens't put him right. Keep him quiet over the weeknd and see how he is Monday morning? He's eating and toileting okay?

7. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Yes, he's eating drinking and toileting normally. There's even distribution through all limbs when walking. When running he can reach full stride. He will play and loves his walks. He's just not sprinting round the house and jumping all over people like a lunatic. He's more likely to sit and say hi and play with my shih tzu for a bit

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It could be that neutering coincided with him maturing which is normally around 11-12 months; most young dogs calm down noticeably around that time.
    Whatever caused it, as long as he's OK, it sounds like it's made him an easier dog to live with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice