Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Behaviour change

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Freya Joseph, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Freya Joseph

Freya Joseph PetForums Newbie

Hi guys I’m new hear and I just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem with their dog as I’m very worried.I have 12 year old Labrador who has quite severe arthritis. He’s been fine up until a week ago where he has been standing at our back door constantly wanting to go out, we let him out and he comes back in and does it again. If we don’t let him out he will tap his paw on the door and start shivering. When he goes out he doesn’t go to the toilet he just stands their for ages. We thought he might be to hot so we turned the heating off for a couple days and he was still doing it. We are just so confused and so worried about him because it’s so out of the ordinary for him to act like this. Please if anyone has any suggestion please reply. Thank you for reading

Attached Files:

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

A vet appointment would be a good idea.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Freya Joseph

Freya Joseph PetForums Newbie

He already has one booked thanks but in the mean time I wanted to know if anyone had the same issue

4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Interestingly, my 8yr old dysplastic dog has had a little bit of similar behaviour. We have had snow and, most unusually, he has wanted to go out into the garden during the evening.

When i have looked out, he is just standing there. He only did it over a couple of evenings. Out about 3 times one evening just to stand.

Yesterday i gave him a dose of his rimadyl and he didnt go out during the evening (but the snow is largely away)

All i can suggest is to make sure your dog's painkiller is kept topped up until you see the vet. My dog has been a bit more whiny in the house too.

There could be a number of reasons for this behaviour though, so hopefully your vet appt isnt far away.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

I'm sorry I'm no help but would be interested in hearing others thoughts as my dog also did this a few weeks ago now.
    She only did it for a day and hasn't done it since but was very strange. Like yours was just standing there outside when usually its just go for wee come back in done.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Could they have spotted a rat or other beastie out there and just keep wanting to go out “hunting”.

Jack did this after he spotted a rat in the garden one night. Kept wanting out but once I was sure he didn’t actually need to toilet and was just obsessing over the rat (that had moved on) I told him to pack it in and settle down ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice