Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Begging Letters

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bisbow, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

Please tell me I am not the only one beginning to suffer from charity fatigue.

I have my favourite charities like most people but I have had so many begging letters this week the shredder has almost expired. Charities I have never heard of and I wonder if some are scams.

It must cost a lot to send these letters out but it must make some money I suppose Trouble is, once you send to one they sell your address off to others.
    I don't think that should be allowed.

And, every time you turn on the telly there is another one.

Perhaps I am getting hard hearted in my old age but if I sent off to them all I would need charity to feed us, my pension would be gone in no time flat

2. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Last Christmas i got a whole set of cards set to me and personalised labels :eek: I put return to sender on them :nono:

What a waste of someone's money they had donated :mad:

My nan has had ones with a pair of socks in asking for a donation for them , i'm sure one even had a 5p stuck to it say how much was 5p a day or something :mad:

3. Rolacolacube

Rolacolacube Owned by 4 cats :)

It's the charity men and women coming to my door begging that really annoys me. I had a man knock on my door a couple of years back asking for money. I told him I already paid to 4 charities a month and couldn't afford any more. He replied with 'people pay to more than 4 charities a month and I'm sure one more wont hurt you and looking at where you live you can afford it'. Little did he know I moved not long after, after pretty much losing my house and everything else with it.

I was totally disgusted by his behaviour. I felt really vulnerable in my own home :( :( xx

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

The trouble is, the charities are being run by "business" people, not caring people and they can't see how this is all going to backfire eventually :rolleyes:

Maybe it already has and that's why they seem so desperate :(

5. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I feel the same. So far we have had 4 letters from charities enclosing printed address labels & asking for donations. I already subscribe to several charities & have no intention of adding more. These letters really annoy me & such a waste of money for those charities as well.

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I don't get too many through the post thankfully but we do get door-steppers on a regular basis. I tell them that I already donate to a number of charities. Some are polite and leave it at that but the ones who come back with "But surely you could afford to donate a bit more....." get told very firmly "If I could, then I would give more to the ones I already support. Goodnight." :D :D :D

7. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

The only time i give anything is to RNLI..:)
    Anything that comes through the post goes straight in the bin.

8. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

im getting soo sick of it; not only the letters and door knockers, but the ones who will follow you and pressure you when out shopping... they are All taking the biscuit at the minute.
    and they all are reading from the same script! that 'its only £X per week, of course you can afford that; it works out at only Xp per day...' so ok, if i give them the money, then why should i say no to the next one- they've made just as 'valid' a point, and the next, and the next... where would it end?!
    i much prefer to give my time to charities anyway- rather than sending money to HQ where it will likely be spent trying to raise more money from what is effectively bullying the caring and probably more vulnerable members of the public.
    dogs trust for example; i did donate to them for a short while, before i was told of someone being asked by their local DT to donate food, blankets, toys etc instead of a cheque as they would probably not benefit from the money at all.

atm, i'm saving for a learners permit and a wee banger of a bike to be able to spend a few hours sat-tues in different animal charities, while spending time again on kukis PAT training. personally, i think i am doing all i can to be of help to those in more need than myself... but considering i am sitting here with only a few pounds left on my overdraft, i may indeed shove a bank statement in the face of the next person who comes to my door to tell me im being stingey for not giving them money!

9. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

I hate how charities ask for a certain donation, why not just give what you can, if you can. some ask for as much as £15 and coming up for christmas I cannot afford £15 but would happily donate a couple quid which surely is better than nothing. also do you know how much people collecting for charities or working in charity shops are paid :eek: if i donate money it should all go to the charity which imo should be run by people volunteering thier spare time. I always wonder how much of the money actually makes it to the people in need. ok rant over :eek:

10. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

And the ones you do/have donated to press for more! I got phoned by Cancer Research yesterday as I had donated £10 through text for 'Stand Up to Cancer' to ask if I could set up a monthly direct debit. I explained that work is thin on the ground at the moment and I would rather donate as and when. Luckily she was v nice and left it at that.

11. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

what annoys me is when you give a charity money each month and then they phone you asking for more!!!

My hubby signed up to give WWF and Red Cross money each month (about a tenner each) and they keep phoning him. I ask him to hand me the phone but he wont as he knows i will tell them if they are wasting my donated money on getting people to phone me asking for more money they need to reassess how they use their funds and the money we donate will go else where!

12. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

I never donate to the big ones as I've mixed with their chairmen and CEO's a few times and I'm not funding their lavish lifetsyles with every 1% of every pound I give.

I work with local charities and charities I know that are run by every day folk who give up their spare time. Why do I want to donate £10 for only 0.005p o fthat £10 actually getting to the person that needs it whilst the rest gets fed off left right and centre in arms dealing and bribing corrupt officials? Might as well go kick the kid in the head myself and give them £5 in their hand for doing so, they'd be a heck of a lot better off.

13. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

You beat me to it!

Nowdays, as harsh as it sounds, to me charity really does begin at home.

Oh and those sacks for clothing that are pushed through the door - ours get filled with the cat litter and no 2's, so it saves me money! :)

14. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Thats absutely appalling - i hope you reported him :mad:

15. Rolacolacube

Rolacolacube Owned by 4 cats :)

That's the silly thing - I didn't. I know now I should of but I was a mixture of being upset and furious :( :(

16. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

I hate getting stopped in the street by these chuggers, but I've found a way to stop them coming up to me. As soon as I see any on their way I just glare at them, works every time.

Any cold callers I just say no thank you and put the phone down as soon as I know it's a cold call.

Begging letters I just shred,

I choose who I give to and when, it's as simple as that!

17. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

My mum donates to 3 charities and they always call her asking her to up her donation, drives her potty, they keep calling back with counter offers like it's some kind of negotiation she agreed to, oh just another £5 per month? Oh wait...how about just £2 more? More more more more.

I don't have a direct debit to any charities, I paypal local animal rescues most months with £5 or £10 depending on how my finances are (I'm never very flush). If I accidentally open the door to someone collecting I tell them I already give to that charity, usually makes them smile and move on. :D

18. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

I am wicked ...I have a sticker on the door I have a block on the phone, and I have a 'drop dead' look which stops chuggers cold..

There was one who tried it on as I was packing shopping into my bike..He stood behind me at the bike rack so I couldnt get out and started going on about little kids starving in Zimbabwe..I said no
    Then he said in a loud voice (trying to shame me) what? dont you care about the starving children then?

So I gave him a brief rundown of that country's history and why I couldnt possibly find it in my heart to send money there. I also explained that I was about twice his age and since the age of 5 Ive knitted, filled shoeboxes ., done sponsered runs , walks, swims, dog event and just about everything else to raise money for these countries most of which have only increased the size of the begging bowl they hold out..Then I asked him how much of his wages he was donating...

His face was very red as he backed up across the pavement and the laughter from other shoppers didnt help..

I refuse to be forced or shamed into charity :mad:

19. Muze

Muze PetForums VIP

It's the charity bags that annoy me, if i filled every one coming through the letterbox, I'd have nout left!

Also, they deliver whenever they like, I don't appreciate them coming through my door, disturbing me at 5am or in the evenings.
    I use them as bin bags!

20. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

I let the chuggers go through all the schpiel and then tell them i dont sign up to anything on the street. Would they give their bank details out to random people working for minimum wage??? Shuts most of them up!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice