Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Begal Kitten - Help

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by SamUK007, May 5, 2017.

1. SamUK007

SamUK007 PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

Looking for some advise for my brother who had bought a 5 month old kitten from a breeder 2 months back.

The kitten has not really settled in, and seems to have some behavioural issues. When they went to see him he was very playfull...

He is a kitten who does not like to be picked up at all, when anyone is around is is in hiding. Infact he is seen very little if at all by anyone but my nephew at times,

He is eating near 300 grams of Natures menu wet pouches a day if not little more.

He has stopped using his litter tray and wee'd on my nephews bed 3 days in a row..as he is the only one he sometimes lets near him and sometimes sleeps in his room.

They are at the stage now, were they feel they do not want the kitten anymore and its too late to go back to the breeder..

What are there options..if any? Kitten cost near £900!

He is a nice kitten, look awesome.. see pic

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Wow, what an amazingly beautiful kitten!! :)

The first step has to be for your brother to take the kitten to the vet for a full check up to see if there are any health issues. As kitty has been weeing on the bed and avoiding his litter trays it is possible he has feline cystitis, perhaps stress related.

As kitty is 5 months old he will be approaching sexual maturity and it is possible the soiling might be due to scent marking. Your brother should be planning to have kitty neutered very soon, as long as kitty is healthy.

Please advise your brother under no circumstance to chastise or punish the kitten for soiling the bed. If he does it will make the kitty even more unhappy and frightened. The kitten needs a lot of patient TLC. If necessary keep kitty shut out of bedrooms for the present until the problem has been resolved.

A kitty who is hiding a lot after 2 months is either in pain, unwell, or frightened. One of these may apply to this kitten, especially if he seemed normal at the breeders. If the vet finds he is not in pain or unwell, then kitty needs help in gaining self confidence.

What are your brother's home circumstances, e.g. does he have other cats, other pets, young children, lots of visitors ?

As the kitty is so nervous I recommend giving him a quiet safe room with his food, water, litter trays (2 trays) toys, scratch posts, beds. He can share the room with a human but it needs to a room where there is not constant human traffic.

Your brother or your nephew should spend lots of time in the room with kitty, not trying to get his attention but just being there to keep him company. Read a book, watch TV, etc. Also read out loud to kitty in a gentle upbeat voice. Kitty will find the non-demanding company reassuring and may gradually come out of hiding.

It is ideal if kitty can start forming a close relationship with one member of the family to build up his confidence. It sounds as though he already trusts your nephew a bit which is a .good start. Your nephew should feed the kitten when he is there to do so and play with him every day as play is very bonding. He should use arms length toys such as Flying Frenzy rod toys so kitty can keep his distance. Even a length of string is good.

As kitty has bladder issues, he should be fed wet food only. No dry as it is not good for bladder or kidneys. At his age he needs feeding 4 meals a day. 300 grams sounds OK, but as he is growing fast he may need more than that. My 2 girls at the same age ate around 400 grams a day each of wet food and were not overweight.

Please let us know how things go for the little one. :)

3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

From what I understand of Bengals they need a lot of time and attention - especially lots of playtime as they have a LOT of energy that needs to be directed into play or they can become aggressive.

If the issues are more than your brother and his family can cope with and if a visit to the vet doesn't throw up any health issues, then I think it would be best, initially, to approach the breeder; they would be best placed to find a new home for the kitten - maybe with someone who is used to Bengals ?

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

It's never too late to go back to the breeder, they should provide lifetime support.

If the kitten isn't neutered, he needs to be done now. Unfortunately it's not uncommon for Bengals to pee inappropriately, and the breeder should be helping with advice.

Cookieandme and moggie14 like this.
  5. SamUK007

SamUK007 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the above.

I had made a call to the breeder who had said she would be happy to take the kitten back - however money is non refundable.

After speaking to my brother, he had called her 1 month in having the kitten, as he was not settling in and at that time she had refused to take him back and issue a refund and was told to give him more time!

Really this has been going on since day 1 of having him..

I had discovered from my call, she has no small children in the house, and the older ones are out and she lives in a 2 bed house.

So my brother has refused to give the kitten back to her (also the fact she is 220 miles away)

The kitten came neutered and vaccinated.

i a, reading up were i can on this. as its only my nephew who gives the kitten time..and he is struggling with this pee issue. he does not even go to anyone else in the house at all.

Think he may have to put the cat up for sale..unsure but he does need time spending with him.

6. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I think it will be difficult to sell it on if the cat has behavioural problems.

moggie14 likes this.
  7. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I think if your brother is not in a position to work with the kitten to help find a resolution to his current issues, then it would be best for the kitten to be returned to the breeder.
    Did your brother sign a contract of any kind that stipulates returning the kitten? I'd be very surprised if a good reputable breeder would refuse any kind of refund and be happy for you to rehome him yourself. Maybe contact with the breeder again is in order and try and agree on a compromise re. refund?

chillminx and claire8234 like this.
  8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Refund is at the beeeders discretion, I don't know any who refund as a matter of course.

Doesn't sound like a very good fit if only the nephew is paying him attention. High energy cats need lots of stimulation and play sessions several times a day.

QOTN and claire8234 like this.
  9. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

It is at their discression, yes, but any decent breeder would agree at the very least to take kitten back, rehome, then provide the original owner with the remainder of the rehome money minus expenses for caring for the kitten and advertising.

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice