Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Before I had a dog...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by karenmc, Aug 11, 2019.

1. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

My husband and I were talking today about how different our home is now we have Luna (just turned 9months). We were saying how we couldn't imagine it without her. It got us thinking just for fun about things we would not have known or expected about having a dog e.g
    1. How we would get chatting with so many people we have never met as we both have dogs.
    2. How much a lovely long walk really energises you!! I look forward to our tea time walk after a day teaching even if I am tired. I feel great as we walk!
    3. That feeling of love that you have when you see your pup/dog when you get up in the morning or when they come over for a cuddle etc
    4. How many conversations my husband and I have had about dog poo!!! Seriously size, texture, colour, amount, how often...we've had them all!!!
    What have you found out/ realised since you have had your dog?

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I agree about the feeling of love and the poo conversations!

The only other things I can think of right now is:
    1. What a difference having a dog can make to your mood / well being
    2. Having a dog makes you loose weight / get fitter

3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Before I had a dog ..

I slept in until 10 at weekends I was never up to watch the sunrise.

I would run on the same boring roads never explored.

I never had the added flavour of dog hair in my dinner.

I spent my Saturdays shopping now I'm rarely out of walking clothes.

I didn't know I could love so much. I didn't know my heart could be so broken when I lost lily.

I didn't know that puppies were secretly crocodiles undercover.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

One of the first things I found was that because I was still working full time, T gifted me an extra half day every weekend with the early rises.

5. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Member

Definitely agree on the conversations about the poop :D

~Making the most of the weekends now - getting up earlier

~Love having companionship on my walks

~Never thought I’d be having full on conversations with my puppy :p

~LOVE the cuddles and how excited she is when we get home

~I knew my husband would love her but never expected their bond to be so tight (he initially said he is more a cat person, but now he waits for her to wake up from a nap to play with her and he goes and buys her treats and toys galore)

~Love how she knows we have a nap together after her Sunday walk and she just hops into bed, curls up and goes to sleep, no questions asked. Snuggled right up by my face

6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Before i had a dog, i had never owned a pair of waterproof trousers or proper walking boots.

I spent far more time indoors.

I met friends through my children and went out for child friendly days to activity centres, animal parks and bowling.

Now i have a new circle of friends and we walk and never talk about kids at all.

I had never been bitten by a tick or horse flies.

I preferred to be in town, with people.

Now i am enjoying the country again (i grew up in the country) and like my own company more.

We plan our holidays round the dogs instead of the kids.

7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Snap!

8. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Since having my dog I have
    • lost a couple of stone
    • spent loads of money on grooming sessions for him
    • bought loads of toys
    • had some lovely walks - nice to have a reason
    • met lots of doggie people - most of whom are very friendly to stop and chat
    • look forward to coming home to a furry cannonball with a sloppy tongue
    • loads more things too numerous to list but most importantly discovered how to laugh again, every day atthe antics of this beautiful little dog, even when he is being naughty
    • and that my OH loves him more than he does me!
    • IMG_20190621_115545.jpg

9. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Clever you! I havent lost so much as a pound! A good dog walk must always be followed by tea and cake. It's the law:D

10. DanWalkersmum

I have coffee and cake too! (just not after every walk LOL)....

11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Hmmm. Maybe i read that law wrong. I was sure it is supposed to be a biscuit before setting off for energy and cake immediately on return to replace lost energy.

And then a clause containing visits to cafes for top ups where possible:p

12. DanWalkersmum

dog and OH share a biscuit - not me (anymore) lol;). My OH would eat cake til the cows come home and not gain an ounce, I have to be a bit more careful, however it's useful having him there to polish of the larger slices if I want some but don't have enough allowance left for the whole slice, he can be relied upon to eat the rest, and his own too.

13. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I am starting a new diet today. I am in a panicked state as my gp wont issue any more hrt for me til i come in and get a blood pressure check.

I already know my bp is high as i have a home bp checker. And now its all over the press that hrt is running out with this supply problem.

So, i will have to live on the wrong side of the cake law til i get a stone or two off:Arghh

14. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Before I had dogs, dog owners were aliens from another planet, :p and dogs themselves were all out to kill me - except for one or two that ignored me.

If I was approached by a dog, I'd run in the opposite direction. Now I know to stop, fold my arms, and wait it out. Which is good, considering the ineptitude of some owners to control their dogs. :rolleyes:

Agility and trick training were pointless at best and cruel at worst. Now I'm considering trying Honey the-dog-who-doesn't-walk with agility.

I believed the mantra that dogs are better than kids (sorry, parents) because they don't answer back. Now I have full-blown arguments with them - and they often have the last word. :p :Hilarious

I was a hermit who never left her room and was on the brink of developing agrophobia (sp?). Now I'm out 4 times a day on a slow day.

And yes, I didn't know it was possible to love another species as much as I love my dogs.

15. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

Every now and again my friends comment on how much Woody has changed my life and it's so hard to explain but he really has.

Before I had him,

- I was shut out of doing things with friends from my 20's because I didn't have children! Now I have a new group of friends where the topic of the day is doggos.
    - I didn't run. Ive now been canicrossing for over 6 months and can run a mile none stop. The canicross club is great and friendly.
    - I had stopped visiting the countryside. Now I go exploring again.
    - I didn't take time to just stop and clear my mind. Now I do this twice a day out walking and appreciate the space around me.
    - I didn't know what work life balance was. I do now :)

16. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Member

1. Realising how much there is to explore out there. I'm forever planning new walks, looking on Google maps for places to park etc.

2. No time for going out drinking anymore. Mad dog and hangovers just don't mix.

3. The feeling you get when you look down at your dog running next to you is amazing.

4. I like my dog more than most people :Hilarious

5. They cost a lot of money to keep lol

17. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I actually can’t remember life without McKenzie! I feel like I wasn’t me before her.

18. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

I love the time we spend together as a family with Luna, going for walks and holidays with her.
    I love seeing the relationship that each family member has with her and the cheeky interactions she has with each one.
    I never realised how much space a Golden Retriever can take up on a sofa and also how amazingly she thinks she can fit into the tiniest space on a chair just to squeeze in next to you!

19. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I have the other ........a life without a dog when I've always had one.

I'm treated so differently by dog owners, like I'm not worth talking too.

There's less mess in the house

I can do what I want when and how I like

I can book holidays easier

I worry a lot, and I mean a lot less

I have masses more money

Why then do I still feel bereft and why is my home lacking in smiles

20. DanWalkersmum

Aw that's awful! Probably try an apple or something instead (stand back to wait for the disgust to evaporate) lol :cool::D;)
    Seriously I've been going to WW for the past year and it wasn't until I retired last October that the weight really started to come off! I Was in a desk bound job and so unhappy that I had to work longer than planned due to the governments pension equality debacle, I comfort ate and the weight just piled on and I went out less and less, just bed and work, no life. Getting Dan at the beginning of December after I retired has been the very best thing I ever did - no question he has changed everything for the better.
    I

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice