Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Been taking care of a cat thought to be stray but happens to be lost

Discussion in 'Lost and Found Cats' started by Natalia34, Aug 4, 2019.

?

What should I do

1. Give her up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fight legally for her

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Natalia34

Natalia34 PetForums Newbie

hello! I need a bit of advise as the circumstances are very unpleasant for everyone . 3 months ago I found a cat on my garden, she was miauing and very hungry, I give her good , she keep coming for few weeks almost everyday an as there is 3 o 4 cat living in the back house gardens conected I tought she must be with them
    After this few weeks she run one day inside the house and wouldn’t want to leave to we took her. I bring her to vet and explains what happens and she suggested us to speak with neighbor and check for missing cats online and posters, I spoke with few neighbors but most wouldn’t even open the door, check online in many pages and nothing wouldn’t came up, and there was no posters around, after one month and because of the cat behaviour our vet told us she must be wild because of the way she react trying to hunt , we decide to put the chip, we did vaccinate her before, and to neutralise her as there was a risk of her getting pregnant because we allowed her to the gardens
    Now after 3 months a neighbor recognise her and told us he lost the cat, the he use to left her with 8 weeks in the garden in a mattress and she use to run but comeback and one day she didn’t came back
    All my family is very attached to the cat, we have been looking after her for longer then the person who bought her and for my to leave a cat in the garden in a mattress when she was that small was negligent
    Now, I understand he must be missing her a lot but he didn’t put any effort in looking for her as my understanding and she I spoke very well looking after now , she is not a kitten anymore and she is use to to be inside the house and to us, she would sleep with us and follow around , but I don’t know if by low I have something I could do I would have to give her to him
    I did everything my vet told me to try and found the owner but she wasent report as missing or have a chip
    Please this is a very delicate matter and I understand some people may think I should give her because someone else bought her , but I would also appreciate if you could understand how my family feel now
    PD : my neighbor is a very nervous and a would say scary, he have treat me few times and I have even report him to the police because of his behaviour , I understand situation must be dificult for him as well but I can’t soeak with him and try to arrange what’s best for the cat

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I think you’re right to try to keep him. Obviously your neighbour wasn’t doing the best he could; am I right in saying he regularly left it in the garden with a mattress? For eight weeks at a time?

How does he even know that this is his cat as he hadn’t even bothered to have it chipped?
    What efforts did he make to find it if he thought it was ‘lost’.

Seems to me at the very least that the cat was abandoned.

3. Natalia34

That’s what I think, the he didn’t look after the cat in the way should be
    Yes, that’s what he told me when he recognise the cat, the she was free in the garden in a mattress and the sometimes she will disappear and comeback, I guess that’s the reason she start coming to our garden and we feed her, she was very hungry
    We never intented to keep her if we would know she was lost , that’s why we wait for 6 weeks to chip her . Police have get involve and Wednesday we having a meeting to discuss it with the police, but I don’t know if you have the right to keep her, what make my family very sad , we worried how she would be look after

4. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Has he got proof that she is his cat? As she wasn't chipped, he may struggle to show she was his. Even if he has a receipt, I doubt he can prove it was this particular cat. It's very unlikely he has photos of her given she was living 'on a mattress' outside, and he didn't put up any lost posters or report her missing, so you (and the police) only have his word for it that he ever owned her. Unless he can authenticate his story I doubt the police will be interested in getting you to return the cat. I also doubt he is missing her a lot, his behaviour doesn't exactly show 'concerned owner'. I wonder if he wants you to pay him for her.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

He would have to show proof that this is his cat. You have plenty of proof that she is yours. You have vet records, she's been chipped, spayed and vaccinated all under your name and account. He hasn't got a leg to stand on. Tell him he is mistaken and he is to leave it at that. If he harasses you further call the police. This is not his cat.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  6. Natalia34

He did buy her from Facebook and have the text and the guy who own the mother as a witness .
    Have photos from the Facebook add and few videos of the cat, I can see there is it her
    I also have thousand of videos and pictures from her and the vet in our side as she knows all story, he say he did put some posters in the road but that’s no true because my family was looking for them for weeks
    I really think he is not sure when the cat disappear because they didn’t have control over her , as first he say is been missing for two weeks and then two months but she is really with us for 3 months
    Wednesday we have the meeting with the police and I hope all of this will get resolve in the best possible way for Luna, that’s the name we put her :)

7. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

If he lost his cat two months ago, and you’ve had yours for three months then it can’t be the same cat, can it??

Ottery and lorilu like this.
  8. Natalia34

She is the same cat unfortunately, I have seen that pictures from Facebook and one video
    but the vet told us she looks like born in January, and that’s what it says in her records , he say she is much younger and the fact the he think she disappears two months ago make me think he didn’t look after her properly because he didn’t know when she got lost

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

So. He abandoned her to survive outside, she voted with her feet and found a home. Abandonment of an animal of course is against the law. I'll bet this is all about money. If it is determined as a legal matter that this is his cat (I think he hasn't got a leg to stand on) offer him the money he paid for her. But considering YOU have all the vet records, it seems to me, he is full of it.

10. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Linda was making the point he is not telling a story which is consistent with the cat being his. If he tells the police he lost her two months ago, she cannot be his cat.

Unless she has unusual markings, the Facebook details/photos won't prove that the cat is his, it will just show he once had a cat. You may say you 'can see it's her' but do not on any account say that to anyonelse. You cannot know it for sure, and it is up to him to prove she's his, not up to you to facilitate it. Do not say anything that is going to help him.

lorilu likes this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

THIS

12. Natalia34

Thank you very much for all the advice! I will update you with any news

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice